Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Using the right tool? Reply with quote

Hearing this phrase alot lately.

Using the right tool for the job?

Does this mean (for instance) using the right part of the foot to hit a target with?

Using the right tool for what purpose in martial arts, using the hammer fist like hitting a nail?

Ratchet wrenching?

Bolt cutters?

Tire iron leverage?

Referring to (using the right tool for the job) makes no sense at all in regards to martial arts, so why say it?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose that when someone suggests that one should use the right tool, as far as the MA might be concerned, it's just that. Our entire body, and the parts that make it what it is...are the tools of the MAist. I believe that the right tool will depend on the circumstance(s) that one might be facing at that moment, as well as to what the level of experience/knowledge that that practitioner might posses.

When we think about training/practicing and the like, the right tool might consist of what one is training/practicing on. What drill, what apparatus, so on and so forth, in order to reach, and go beyond the limitations of what's being trained/practiced at that time.

When we think about defending oneself, on the outside of the dojo, the right tool, imho, is ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING, and then some, that will help one to defend themselves effectively. On the streets, political correct defense doesn't exist anymore because one protection in paramount!!

For example...If I was being bear hugged from the front, then a front kick is not the correct tool, due to the close proximity of the two of us, but rather, the knee might be the appropriate tool, at that time, depending if even that is doable.

I do agree, MA concerned, choosing the right tool for THAT particular situation, and no situation is always the same, is the correct thing to do. Choosing the right tool on the streets makes all of the difference. Those of limited experience/knowledge, will have limited choices of what correct tool(s) to use. Whereas, those of greater experience/knowledge will have many more tools to choose from. Nonetheless, the correct tool should still be used to survive said attack effectively.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the phrase all the time. My father's a mechanic, and I've been around tools since as long as I can remember. If I wasn't helping out in the garage, I was helping fix stuff in the house. Or stuff like lawnmowers.

It's an analogy. Or a metaphor. Don't use a rubber mallet to knock down a wall, and don't use a sledgehammer to drive finishing nails.

The best tool in the world is just about worthless if it's not used for the intended job or used incorrectly.

There was a thread about effectiveness of nukite/spear hand. It's a great tool/weapon/strike when used correctly. Use it to strike the throat, liver or spleen, and it's a great tool. Use it to try to pierce someone's skull or sternum, and you'll be hurting. All a knifehand strike to the side of the head or ribs is going to do is annoy an opponent. Use it on the side or back of the neck or across the throat and it could end an encounter pretty quickly. Punching someone in the neck isn't going to be too debilitating; punching that person on the xiphoid process (that little bone at the bottom of the sternum) is another story.

Those examples are using the wrong tool for the job and the right tool for the job.

There's a thread about the crescent kick. Same analogy applies. It has its applications. The crescent kick isn't a worthless kick. It's been taught with some pretty stupid applications. What I've been taught as a back spin kick (spinning hook kick?) has a ton of stupid applications and won't work in most circumstances, unless you're incredibly fast and athletic. But I've seen it demonstrated in a very simple and highly effective way - from a two handed grab, knock the arms down, knee the stomach, and back spin kick the back of the head while they're buckled over. Hard to explain and visualize without video.

As sensei8 said, there's no one tool (technique) that'll get the job done every time. The situation(s) dictate which tool (technique) to use. That could be the different striking surfaces of the hand, foot, etc. Those surfaces have different applications in different scenarios and anatomical targets.

People say the nukite is worthless. Nukite someone full force in the carotid sinus and ask them if it's worthless when they come to. If they come to. Nukite someone in the forehead and see how they respond. It's all about using the tool the right way. And at the right time. The wrong tool most likely won't get the job done.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the others. All of the techniques and concepts we use as Martial Artists are the tools in our preverbal toolbox. Choke defenses are great, if you're being choked. Sometimes a punch is good to use, and sometimes a palm heel is better. Knee strikes are good when you're close, and kicks are better at range.

So I say yes, it is a pertinent analogy.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tools of the trade.

A Redneck's toolbox only contains a hammer.

A man is only as good as his tools.

The expressions using tools are many.

The question is, can everything about martial arts be understood with tool idioms and metaphors or just a few things?

Tempest
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Judo, HEMA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, leverage and other mechanical principles are the foundation of effective fighting technique. ESPECIALLY if you are going to come to grips with someone, but even a strike is trying to use, leverage, momentum, structure to deliver force to target.

Let me ask you a question; What is a better analogy for martial arts if mechanics doesn't work for you? Analogy is the primary means by which english speakers communicate complex subjects to non-members of our immediate tribe.

We MUST have an analogy to work from, so if this one doesn't do it for you, what would be better?

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Alan but I don't agree at all. There are right tools for the job and wrong tools for the job. It doesn't mean there is only one tool but whatever situation you may find yourself in, only certain actions make sense.

Sensei8 and JR have already explained this above well so I won't repeat them.

In ITF TKD, one of the 9 training secrets is "To choose the appropriate attacking tool for each vital spot." All students get taught that there are responses that make sense, some more than others.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
Sorry Alan but I don't agree at all. There are right tools for the job and wrong tools for the job. It doesn't mean there is only one tool but whatever situation you may find yourself in, only certain actions make sense.

Sensei8 and JR have already explained this above well so I won't repeat them.

In ITF TKD, one of the 9 training secrets is "To choose the appropriate attacking tool for each vital spot." All students get taught that there are responses that make sense, some more than others.
Good point. Kicking the upper leg with a round kick is better than punching it, unless you fall to your knees. If you would find yourself in a lethal force situation, a knife hand lends itself to striking the neck better than the fits does.

Lowkickr
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Judo, Kyokushin, Kenpo, Wing Chun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes based on circumstances you can only use the tools that are available. I'm fairly sure that sometimes the wrong tool still gets the job done the right way. Ideally, one would want to put the best tool to task, but sometimes the job has to be done in less than ideal conditions. Assuming tools is a metaphor for techniques or skills then perhaps a good plan would be to fill your toolbox with as many tools as you can, while still relying on those few tried and true tools we are very familiar with.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Describe the grace of Tai Chi through the eyes of a mechanic?

Tai Chi movements are like a well oiled machine!

Torque comes from the waist and hips!

He is a killing machine!

Men are known to be mechanically inclined, are women?

If looking from a perspective of, men are from Mars and women are from Venus, engineering and mechanics is geared towards male attributes.

Many male martial artists enjoy the Japnese masculine qualities, yet there arts are also balanced with a feminine quality also.

Mechanics don't win races, drivers do.

All of martial arts can be described with Yin/Yang, this is why it is the most universally used symbolic symbol of martial arts in the entire world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: