Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

LionsDen
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:45 pm    Post subject: Varga in Karate Combat Reply with quote

So, Varga’s fight is coming up soon, and I am not sure how I feel about him being in the promotion.

Most of the fighters in KC are very rough around the edges when it comes to full contact, and none of them have competed full contact at a high level like Bellator level of competition before.

I think bringing a big name like Varga into the promotion is generally a good sign that revenue is strong, and the people behind it are still motivated for growth, and aren’t becoming complacent.

On the other hand, I think Varga’s much greater experience means he will likely dominate completely, which could get boring for fans to see, and deter future talent from coming in and competing.

What does everyone else think?

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: Varga in Karate Combat Reply with quote

LionsDen wrote:
So, Varga’s fight is coming up soon, and I am not sure how I feel about him being in the promotion.

Most of the fighters in KC are very rough around the edges when it comes to full contact, and none of them have competed full contact at a high level like Bellator level of competition before.

I think bringing a big name like Varga into the promotion is generally a good sign that revenue is strong, and the people behind it are still motivated for growth, and aren’t becoming complacent.

On the other hand, I think Varga’s much greater experience means he will likely dominate completely, which could get boring for fans to see, and deter future talent from coming in and competing.

I can see your point but if he comes in and totally dominates it might encourage someone else to come in and try to do the same. They might view it as "easy money".

The dream (in my head) publicity wise would be for Wonderboy (once done with the UFC) to give it a shot. That could be very interesting and would draw a lot of attention

LionsDen
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Varga in Karate Combat Reply with quote

DarthPenguin wrote:
LionsDen wrote:

I can see your point but if he comes in and totally dominates it might encourage someone else to come in and try to do the same. They might view it as "easy money".

The dream (in my head) publicity wise would be for Wonderboy (once done with the UFC) to give it a shot. That could be very interesting and would draw a lot of attention
wonderboy is already a KC ‘sensei’
So I doubt he’ll ever actually compete

Shojiko
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed; I'm seeing the same thing in one FC right now.
Former UFC fighters are already tearing up the divisions and taking the championship belts (John Linekar, Than Le, soon will be Jarred Brooks, mighty mouse).
Up until former UFC fighters started showing up, the main stars of One Fc looked amazing.
It was really exciting at first because you had fighters from less popular styles such as Kung fu dominating.

LionsDen
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GS718Trek wrote:
Former UFC fighters are already tearing up the divisions and taking the championship belts (John Linekar, Than Le, soon will be Jarred Brooks, mighty mouse).
Up until former UFC fighters started showing up, the main stars of One Fc looked amazing.
It was really exciting at first because you had fighters from less popular styles such as Kung fu dominating.
I’ve never seen a king fu fighter in ONE FC, let alone dominating.
Can you provide a name for that?

Shojiko
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specifically, "wushu," and referring to the team Lakay guys (who always wear red shorts), they all held belts in most of the weight classes at one time.
One of them is still flyweight champ (Joshua Pacio).
Years ago, they dominated until more top competitors entered the scene.
Their kicking was entertaining to see, with a lot of looping shots/haymakers, side kicks, spinning back kicks, and so on. The other guys from that team are like Kevin Belingon, Edward Folayong (just fought JW parr).

Shojiko
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not very knowledgeable with Kung fu, but they identified themselves as Wushu/Sanda fighters, which I figured was a subset of kung fu.

Shojiko
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edward Folayang, Belingon, Eustachio, and Pacio were all wearing belts at the same moment not long ago.
Lito Adiwang, one of their newest members, is a powerful striker who usually throws down.
However, he recently suffered a defeat.
Jarred Brooks, a former UFC fighter and skilled grappler just man handled him to submission

LionsDen
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GS718Trek wrote:
I'm not very knowledgeable with Kung fu, but they identified themselves as Wushu/Sanda fighters, which I figured was a subset of kung fu.
traditional king fu guys often claim that sanda is kung fu but often sanda people don’t identify that way.

Sort of like kudo and karate.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GS718Trek wrote:

The former UFC stars entering an organisation don't always dominate though - look at PFL. Everyone thought that Pettis and MacDonald would just tear through everyone but it didn't work out like that
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: