Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2001 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I have a few questions here if ya wouldn't mind answering them.

1) What are crunches?

2) How do I develope the lower two of a six pack well?

3) Does running use all of the leg muscles or just a few? Would running be suitable exercise for all of leg?

4) With situps, I do like 15 minutes without much ache or improve over the next few days, yet the other day in TKD when someone stood on my feet and held my knees, I did just 25 situps and felt the ache for the next few days... is there anyway of replicating this?

OK well there the questions are, answer any you can please

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2001 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 - crunches are HARD situps, i answered that in the other post of mine.

2 - i dunno about the six pack, who cares about it anway?

3 - Running is excellent for the legs and cardio, but i wouldn't use it as the only way for working your legs. Skipping and squats are pretty good for your legs too.

4 - You need to do supported situps, put your feet under your bed or something so your feet don't slide and just use you abs to curl up into situp position, without using any other muscles.

Cheers,
Angus

Tim Greer
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2001 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would saying that crunches are like sit ups, but rather than bringing your chest up, you also bring your knees up to sort of meet at the same time, then go back down at the same time -- but neither the back or legs touch the ground again -- and repeat, while really tightening your stomach muscles? Is that an okay description, or do you think that would just be way off?

Also, if I'm not around for a while, I'm just away training. :-)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Apollo
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2001 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack-

It is actually much easier to develop the upper abdominals than the lower abdominals. Most common ab excercises (including crunches) benefit the upper abs rather than the lower abs.

To make your lower abs show, you need to have 8-10 percent body fat or less. This can be accomplished by drinking lots of water, running, lifting weights, eating right, etc.

The excercise that helped me the most with the lower abs was leg lifts. Do those, and do a LOT of them.

Angus-

Having strong abs, and a six pack is actually very important. It helps you take a shot to your stomach better, for one. Since the abs are the center of your body, they help the power of your punchs, allow you to flick your hips faster, and much much more. Bruce Lee explained the value of strong abdominals in his book "Expressing The Human Body."

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2001 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah yeah yeah... i've got a strong gut, i just can't develop a 6 pack cos my genetics won't allow for it. Both my old man and my mum are large, and i still have a bit of body fat around that area - my metabolic rate won't burn it off. I have a super strong gut, and i can feel the 6 pack underneath, but it's covered by like half a centimetre of fat...

I just see people getting caught up with having a 6 pack and they get real nervy about it. Ah well.
Angus

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2001 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angus, saying genetics won't let you have a six-pack is just an excuse. I hear that arguement all the time as to why a person has a great body and another doesn't. To me, it's all *. You can have the bodyshape that you want, you just have to go get it. To get a six-pack takes more than just crunches, you need to eat a high-protien, low carb diet to get there.
People tell me i'm only big because I have genetics. IT'S CRAP!!! I worked very hard to get my body the way it is. And let me tell you, if any person works out with me they will get bigger too. People have told me "I work out really hard and can't get big" and it's always turned out to be false. One workout with me and they really learn what a workout is and how to be smarter about it.

Don't ever let genetics hold you back. When was the last time you looked at your genetic code? You have no idea what the limits to yourself are. If you hold yourself to your "genetic limit" you may as well just give up.

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2001 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess you're right, but i really don't care what i look like, as long as my MA doesn't go to crap.

I don't wanna get into that strict diet crap, i like to eat pizza and chocolate and all that. If i wanna be a bodybuilder then i'l eat like u suggested. My fat keeps me warm anyways. But i really do think that genetics plays a big part - its easier for someone with a good metabolic rate to 'look good' than it is for someone with a poor rate.

Angus

Apollo
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2001 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angus, if you want to increase your metabolism, drink as much water as possible, and eat 6 small meals a day, rather than 3 or 4 large ones. You can improve your metabolism with weights, etc.

When you get older, your metabolism just keeps dropping, if you don't eat right (doesn't have to be strict, high protein low carbs is actually easy to follow.) and excercise at your age, imagine how it'll be when you're 50, 70... (if you plan to live that long )

Don't mean to keep ragging on you, just trying to help.

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2001 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, it's all good, i don't mind people telling me this stuff.

To tell u the truth i really didn't/don't plan on living that long. I guess i should though.

Angus

Tim Greer
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2001 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tell you, what I wouldn't give to be able to put on weight easily. My metabolism is in constant overdrive. I have to eat a lot and really, really work myself, because I can only gain muscle. If I don't work out for a month or more, I would easily drop 20 pounds. I have to keep up the work to keep on the muscle mass. This is not fun. I would prefer a happy medium.

Also, if I'm not around for a while, I'm just away training. :-)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: