Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Very Little Coverage Of TKD In The Olympics 2012 Reply with quote

I'm quite disappointed on the very little TV coverage of TKD in the 2012 Olympics. Just the other day...After 7 hours of viewing...I only saw TWO matches, and that's it, and it was towards the end of the 7th hour.

Did anyone see more TKD coverage than that? I just don't understand...I suppose that the more mainstream the sport, the more TV coverage.

Ouch!!

Last edited by sensei8 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

brickshooter
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Coverage Of TKD In The Olympics 2012 Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
I'm quite disappointed on the very little TV coverage of TKD in the 2012 Olympics. Just the other day...After 7 hours of viewing...I only saw TWO matches, and that's it, and it was towards the end of the 7th hour.

Did anyone see more TKD coverage than that? I just don't understand...I suppose that the more mainstream the sport, the more TV coverage.

Ouch!!

Look at the bright side, Judo coverage got a couple of "photos."

The USA got it's first gold ever. And all that NBC was able to give us is a couple of "photos."

Would it kill the NBC budget to lend the USA team a iphone so that they can tape and relay a match?

I'm not even suggesting that NBC were to DONATE an iphone to Team USA Judo. I'm talking about letting Team USA Judo BORROW an iphone.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Coverage Of TKD In The Olympics 2012 Reply with quote

brickshooter wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

Ouch!!

Look at the bright side, Judo coverage got a couple of "photos."

The USA got it's first gold ever. And all that NBC was able to give us is a couple of "photos."

Would it kill the NBC budget to lend the USA team a iphone so that they can tape and relay a match?

I'm not even suggesting that NBC were to DONATE an iphone to Team USA Judo. I'm talking about letting Team USA Judo BORROW an iphone.

Solid post!!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its what NBC are choosing to show as over here, the BBC have been televising the majority of matches and if not, you've been able to watch the live streams online for free. Feel sorry for you guys as it seems you've been missing out on stuff. Even your viewing of the Olympic ceremony got edited down.

FYI its not NBC filming it or anything. The Olympic Broadcasting Services (OBS) are the only people allowed to film and they film absolutely everything. Each territory then has a broadcaster(s) who buys the license giving them the rights to televise it and they can put whatever banners or logos or whatever ontop. Forget the iphones, if NBC aren't showing it, its not because they weren't given the opportunity to have the footage, its because they have chosen not to show it.

I went to the men's +80 kg and women's +65kg repecharges and finals last night. Getting round to posting something on it.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
Its what NBC are choosing to show as over here, the BBC have been televising the majority of matches and if not, you've been able to watch the live streams online for free. Feel sorry for you guys as it seems you've been missing out on stuff. Even your viewing of the Olympic ceremony got edited down.

FYI its not NBC filming it or anything. The Olympic Broadcasting Services (OBS) are the only people allowed to film and they film absolutely everything. Each territory then has a broadcaster(s) who buys the license giving them the rights to televise it and they can put whatever banners or logos or whatever ontop. Forget the iphones, if NBC aren't showing it, its not because they weren't given the opportunity to have the footage, its because they have chosen not to show it.

I went to the men's +80 kg and women's +65kg repecharges and finals last night. Getting round to posting something on it.

Oooohhhh...I wish I was a mouse in your pocket...I would've loved to have been there...lucky you!!

USA Today, it's a big newspaper in the USA, had a 7 paragraph article with photo in the LONDON 2012 section, section D, page 5, entitled..."Taekwondo replay gives U.S. Bronze". The photo was of American Terrence Jennings; who beat Brazil's Diogo Silva for the Bronze.

The OBS needs to, imho, do a better job covering Judo and TKD, after all, they've both been in the Olympics for some time now...sheech. However, the OBS did cover Fencing quite well. What's one to do?

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
DWx wrote:

Oooohhhh...I wish I was a mouse in your pocket...I would've loved to have been there...lucky you!!

USA Today, it's a big newspaper in the USA, had a 7 paragraph article with photo in the LONDON 2012 section, section D, page 5, entitled..."Taekwondo replay gives U.S. Bronze". The photo was of American Terrence Jennings; who beat Brazil's Diogo Silva for the Bronze.

The OBS needs to, imho, do a better job covering Judo and TKD, after all, they've both been in the Olympics for some time now...sheech. However, the OBS did cover Fencing quite well. What's one to do?

Sorry Bob, maybe I didn't explain that well enough. The OBS filmed everything: all TKD matches, all Judo matches and all of everything else. Any and every single match or heat or routine at the games gets filmed no matter what sport or what athletes are competing. That video footage then gets sent around the world to the broadcasters who have the license to show it and they can choose to put their own commentary and graphics etc. on top of the raw video before broadcasting to their country. What you see on television is the bits of the OBS filming that your country's olympics license holder wants to show. For you that's NBC, for us Brits it was the BBC. Sorry to hear that you only got to see a few TKD fights but I promise you every single fight was filmed - NBC must have decided there wasn't enough demand to see them so they didn't show it.

Sucks because over here in the UK the BBC (the UK's license holder) gave us the opportunity to watch every single sport live as it was happening, you just needed to select which live stream you wanted. I watched the majority of TKD and Judo matches but didn't watch all simply because there was far too much for me to watch and I haven't had the time. I don't have a job at the moment so have all day to watch and have had several streams open and I still haven't seen everything. Still making my way through it all. That's the other thing, I don't know if NBC are doing or did it but the BBC gave us a catch-up service where we could watch any event that had already happened. So right now I can go and watch the ping-pong from the preliminaries all the way up to the finals if I wanted.

If you didn't see an event on tv, its because NBC chose themselves not to show it. Maybe they didn't think there was enough interest

brickshooter
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,thank goodness NBC gave the USA detailed coverage of rowing. Big boats. Medium boats. Small boats. Even when not a single American was competing. God save us, where would this country be without rowing?

All I know is that the next Olympics, I'm turning off NBC and turning on the BBC even if it's online streaming.

shinka
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Hoshinkido Hapkido, Genbukan Ninjutsu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree.... Wish we saw more...

What's going to happen when Hapkido and Karate will get in..
Cause they should be in soon as per what they're saying.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brickshooter wrote:
Well,thank goodness NBC gave the USA detailed coverage of rowing. Big boats. Medium boats. Small boats. Even when not a single American was competing. God save us, where would this country be without rowing?

All I know is that the next Olympics, I'm turning off NBC and turning on the BBC even if it's online streaming.

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

I needed that...I can't stop laughing...FUNNY stuff...and to the point. Thank you!!

ROFL

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shinka wrote:
I agree.... Wish we saw more...

What's going to happen when Hapkido and Karate will get in..
Cause they should be in soon as per what they're saying.

In the USA, we'll get everything else BUT Hapkido and Karate. Whoa's me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: