Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:35 am    Post subject: Video: Honor Code Reply with quote

Here is a video I watched just the other day on youtube, where the poster discusses the honor code. I think a lot of what he says hits spot-on, and is very applicable to the realm of Martial Arts, and the kind of camaraderie that is developed by its practitioners. I think there are lots of good points made here.

A Man's Code of Honor, from The Art of Manliness youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxvrapNC15o

I think it relates to women just as well as to men. Thoughts? Anything you view differently?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the thoughts spoken about, and unearthed in the many points made in this video; thanks for sharing the video, Brain.

Within the walls of any dojo/dojang/gym/etc., one can see how camaraderie begins, and more importantly, how it can remain. That camaraderie is birthed by how one helps, as well as, how one is helped whilst on the floor. Fellow practitioners are drawn to that quite willingly, and on their own through the plethora of events that arise while learning the MA, that's to include those who teach the MA, as well.

One can see that type of camaraderie in varying groups. It's the things shared together; the battles that have been both won and loss together. To be thrown into the thickest of the thickest muck, yet to come out clean and renewed as one.

For an example, let us look at LEO's, for just a moment. Their camaraderie is birthed in the academy, then reinforced with their Training Officer, and onto when they're patrolling on their own. Their camaraderie will not be challenged, nor will it be taken lightly; not now...not ever.

The Three Musketeer motto..."One for all, and all for one" speaks soundly and true with LEO's. When one officer cries out on the radio..."Officer needs help...CODE 3", all available rush to the scene from all directions, and those who aren't available, trust me, they'll be available sooner than later to aide the distressed officer.

It's a tightly woven group that's not easy to enter, and not easily forgotten. Trust is earned, and earned trust strengthens the camaraderie even more so. Unwritten, yet written in the hearts of the LEO.

Same with sporting teams, same with corporate teams, same with any group that values what they stand for because, as a team, as a group, they are valued with one another, and they've fought the good fight TOGETHER.

They know what it takes, and they know what it took to achieve that which isn't easy to achieve: TRUST!! An outsider can't truly understand that type of camaraderie of a LEO, or of a Martial Artist because they've not, as of yet, EXPERIENCED all of what's involved each and everyday.

Imho!! I'll leave it at that, for now!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good points, Bob. Thanks for the reply. The groups that we become part of really mesh us together as units. You mention the LEO's, which I agree with. An army unit also comes to mind.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES...The Army aspect you mention, in that, all of the Armed Services, for that fact.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: