Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.
Author Message

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 31 Mar 2006
Posts: 28074
Location: Hays, KS
Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaching via video is doable, but I think it presents an interesting challenge. In any physical endeavor, at times, there needs to be some physical corrections made in order to emphasize a point. This is lost altogether with video instruction.

But, considering the alternative, it is better than nothing.
_________________
www.haysgym.com
http://www.sunyis.com/
www.aikidoofnorthwestkansas.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

DWx
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 17 Jan 2007
Posts: 6214
Location: UK
Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RW wrote:

Thanks!!!! My decision is made, I appreciate the input

Did you decide to do it? Or not?
_________________
"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

hammer
Green Belt
Green Belt

Joined: 28 Sep 2004
Posts: 367

Styles: Kyokushin, TKD

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sensei has been running Zoom classes for several weeks now. Taiso and kihon work out fine with limited space but I'd admit it would be more difficult if I were a junior student. Sensei is doing great given the limitations.

Payment isn't an issue...even if the classes weren't available I'd still be paying my dues. Want the dojo to be there when we eventually get to opening things up.

Will be interesting to see what bad habits I'll have to correct once we go back to regular classes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 23 Feb 2008
Posts: 14807
Location: Houston, TX
Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammer wrote:
My sensei has been running Zoom classes for several weeks now. Taiso and kihon work out fine with limited space but I'd admit it would be more difficult if I were a junior student. Sensei is doing great given the limitations.

Payment isn't an issue...even if the classes weren't available I'd still be paying my dues. Want the dojo to be there when we eventually get to opening things up.

Will be interesting to see what bad habits I'll have to correct once we go back to regular classes.

The bold type above is pretty much why I've not ever been a proponent of this teaching model. Doesn't mean that this teaching model isn't another means, just to many hiccups for all concerned.

Imho.





_________________
**Proof is on the floor!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

DWx
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 17 Jan 2007
Posts: 6214
Location: UK
Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
hammer wrote:
My sensei has been running Zoom classes for several weeks now. Taiso and kihon work out fine with limited space but I'd admit it would be more difficult if I were a junior student. Sensei is doing great given the limitations.

Payment isn't an issue...even if the classes weren't available I'd still be paying my dues. Want the dojo to be there when we eventually get to opening things up.

Will be interesting to see what bad habits I'll have to correct once we go back to regular classes.

The bold type above is pretty much why I've not ever been a proponent of this teaching model. Doesn't mean that this teaching model isn't another means, just to many hiccups for all concerned.

Imho.





Given that there is no chance to train face to face, this is the next best thing. I'd bet that students have less bad habits with 3 months video instruction rather 3 months solo practice with no instruction.
_________________
"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 31 Mar 2006
Posts: 28074
Location: Hays, KS
Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
hammer wrote:
My sensei has been running Zoom classes for several weeks now. Taiso and kihon work out fine with limited space but I'd admit it would be more difficult if I were a junior student. Sensei is doing great given the limitations.

Payment isn't an issue...even if the classes weren't available I'd still be paying my dues. Want the dojo to be there when we eventually get to opening things up.

Will be interesting to see what bad habits I'll have to correct once we go back to regular classes.

The bold type above is pretty much why I've not ever been a proponent of this teaching model. Doesn't mean that this teaching model isn't another means, just to many hiccups for all concerned.

Imho.





Given that there is no chance to train face to face, this is the next best thing. I'd bet that students have less bad habits with 3 months video instruction rather 3 months solo practice with no instruction.
I agree. You can at least spot something by sight, and offer verbal cues until something sticks.
_________________
www.haysgym.com
http://www.sunyis.com/
www.aikidoofnorthwestkansas.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

RW
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Joined: 07 Mar 2009
Posts: 344


PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
RW wrote:

Thanks!!!! My decision is made, I appreciate the input

Did you decide to do it? Or not?


Yup! I'll do it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

hammer
Green Belt
Green Belt

Joined: 28 Sep 2004
Posts: 367

Styles: Kyokushin, TKD

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
hammer wrote:
My sensei has been running Zoom classes for several weeks now. Taiso and kihon work out fine with limited space but I'd admit it would be more difficult if I were a junior student. Sensei is doing great given the limitations.

Payment isn't an issue...even if the classes weren't available I'd still be paying my dues. Want the dojo to be there when we eventually get to opening things up.

Will be interesting to see what bad habits I'll have to correct once we go back to regular classes.

The bold type above is pretty much why I've not ever been a proponent of this teaching model. Doesn't mean that this teaching model isn't another means, just to many hiccups for all concerned.

Imho.


Given that there is no chance to train face to face, this is the next best thing. I'd bet that students have less bad habits with 3 months video instruction rather 3 months solo practice with no instruction.


I think it all comes down to this...do you participate in video training knowing you may need to fix stuff when you can get back to the dojo, or do you wing it yourself or not bother to train?

Once we can open things up I look forward to going back to the dojo...but for now I'm glad I have the opportunity to train with others even if the setup isn't the best.

FWIW my sensei worked with me last Thursday on a few moves in the kata I am currently working on. Even with the video restrictions he was able to pick up on a few things I was doing wrong and gave me some pointers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


< Advertising - Contact - Disclosure Policy - Staff - User Guidelines >