Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2001 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knocking someone out in one blow is extremely hard, believe me i've tried it... It's better to wind them and run.

I like that saying though!
Angus

Tim Greer
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2001 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-06-24 17:55, Angus wrote:
Knocking someone out in one blow is extremely hard, believe me i've tried it... It's better to wind them and run.

I like that saying though!
Angus

I agree. If you can accomplish that task, that's great, you're lucky -- and I mean, lucky. Granted, if someone gave you a full, open opportunity to execute a good strick to a vital area, you have a decent chance. But, how can you possibly hit someone once and knockthem out? Who would dare wait and see if it had any effect, whn you would realistically be busy continuing your techniques until it was obvious that they were going down, and hard. I don't think anyone would wait around for that. If you have that much open opportunity, you probably have better options than even fighting them in the first place.

Also, if I'm not around for a while, I'm just away training. :-)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

ts757
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2001 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend used to say "violence is the last resort of the green humpty people" of couse, he was a heavy prozak user by that time.

Kickbutt
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2001 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I know those guys!! Yeah!!! The Green Humpty People!!!!! ROFL. Thanks, I needed a good laugh!
I believe that you're pushing your luck if you intend to stick around and fight it out - wind 'em and run like hell!!

Lori

-Unknown-

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2001 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people have a strict code of honour. Those are the people who die first in life. I would, however, stay in a fight if I had a chance of winning. If he had a weapon, like a gun, then I would run. If it was a streetfight, then I would stay. It is just my pride and my way of thinking.

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

ewing
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2001 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is a single attacker than only use what you have to, don't over do it.

In your case, were there is three or more people attacking you then you should do what ever it takes to get out of the situation.

Tim Greer
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2001 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-07-11 11:58, Karateka wrote:
Some people have a strict code of honour. Those are the people who die first in life. I would, however, stay in a fight if I had a chance of winning. If he had a weapon, like a gun, then I would run. If it was a streetfight, then I would stay. It is just my pride and my way of thinking.

I think a bullet could move faster than you could run. Of course, the option of running, would depend on the situation.. somtimes it's a better idea to try and remain calm if a gun is pulled on you, or even try to take it away. Running is a viable option though.

Personally, if I wasn't alone, no matter how many people were involved and against me, I would do what I could to get the other person out of the situation and probably end up having to at least get involved in a short or long term fight while the other person fled.
That's to say, if there's 20 people that have suddenly surrounded myself and my wife, I would take her with me off to the side while I broke out of one side of this circle of people and have her get the hell out of there while I keep as many as I can busy. That wouldn't be a good option, but it would be one of a few that I would probably have at the time.

Staying in a street fight, if you have any other choice, is obviously a bad idea. Call it pride???? Maybe ego, maybe just being a victim of blind fury, would probably be more accurate. If you can get out of there, get out of there. If you are seriously * off and want to do damage to these people, assuming no one has any weapon's and it's an easy win for you and you always leave yourself the option of getting out of there, then I think that's a reasonable action, just as long as you aren't careless, going overboard or adding risk to the situation or someone else (as in, a person that was with you).

Think smart and make your priority the other person and their safety, and be stupid when you're by yourself. I can't say that I've ever had to flee, or even tried to when I had the chance, even when I was surrounded, so I can truly say I've been too brave to have any sense about it...and lucky me for the outcomes... it could have gone in any direction. Then again, I'm not sure that running would have really done much good anyway in those situations -- and I am sure I would have avoided it if I had the chance to, so maybe I'm not a complete nut.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2001 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fight, run, cry, scream, faint - alla options. I'm not in a very jovial mood at the moment fellas but i learned some good lessons the last couple of nights. These lessons have uprooted my whole train of thought and i feel awkward.

I actually feel the same way now as i do in a lot of fights - i could go for a bit o' smash 'n bash'em right about now.

Always look after those who cannot look after themselves - it is always good to protect people.

Angus

Tim Greer
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2001 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I suppose if you're in a mood and looking for a fight, or excuse to fight, you can always be on the lookout of any victims of any crimes in the action and get involved... or just be a mean cop.

daveant
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2001 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive only been in one situation where I though of using my Martial Arts fighting skills in real life and then I choose to intimdate instead of Obliterate. I was at an office party and believe it or not an upper management guy kissed my wife when I was in the bathroom. Needless to say, this drunken fool was more scared when I confronted him and the threat of violence to his body was more then he seemed ready to take on. Also facing him at work was very interesting the next day when he had to face life sober and knowing the fact that he had totally humiliated himself. It was not long before he quit our organization...it still would have probably felt good to whack him around, but facing possible criminal charges or a loss of ones job - you have to think first before striking.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: