Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2001 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been in many a violent conflict in my short time on this plain of existence, some of which almost ended it.

Take for example my defense of a then girlfriend. A knife was pulled on me and i very nearly had my throat cut. It was against 3 attackers and i came out with a fractured nose, 2 cracked ribs, a broken back tooth and cuts to my arm. Two of the three attackers were immobile on the ground (one unconscious) and the third one ran... I was almost put up on criminal charges, me the defender....

i was wondering if anyone had similar stories, and what they think they would do in a fight if they really had to... I'm talking about an honourable circumstance where u are fighting for ur safety or the safety of someone else..

Respects,
Angus.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2001 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does trouble follow you?

I have never had a violent conflict (physical anyway...) of any kind.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Immortal
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2001 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether trouble follows you or not, a group defense situation is one of the most tricky things around to handle.

We've practiced handling many things such as this in our school. The main object is to keep yourself OUT of the middle of the ring of attackers. Do this by grabbing a wrist, arm, or by kicking an attacker into another attacker. While those two are briefly disabled, even if for a few seconds, you must strike out at the third attacker. Always keep yourself where you can see all your attackers.

Another thing is, always keep eye contact. My teacher used this story as an example: One time, he was in a fight. A massive fight. And he was hit on the back of the head and passed out. This all could've been prevented if he'd been paying attention to the attacker's eyes in front of him. The attacker's eyes shifted to look past Martin (my teacher) and at his fighting partner behind Martin. If he had been quicker to pick up on that, he could've saved himself a nasty blow to the back of the head.

As for weapons, they are a different story, and it is hard to go into detail on how to disable them without further illustrations, pictures, etc. I will see if I can look up some links for you.

"Where the Internet Flows"

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2001 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a similar situation though less violent. I am a pretty good fighter I have been told. There was a guy who I really didn't like getting beat up. This guy was a piece of *. He was scum of the Earth. So, five guys decided he needed a lesson. So, I helped him out. Three were out, one had a broken arm, the other didn't do anything. I take a look at the guy, and he said the most typical thing "I had it all under control" I should have let them hurt him first

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2001 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always good to hurt people...

To the best of my ability i did pretty much what immortal was talking about... I kinda grabbed the knife hand of the dude with the blade and swung him in a direction away from my girlfriend and landed a low groin kick to his other friend. Then i started to get caned (thus all my injuries)... I didn't know what to do so i went feral and jumped on them and stuff... It was weird. I can't remember a lot f it partly cos of the adreniline...

Take care peoples.
Angus.

[ This Message was edited by: Angus on 2001-06-23 18:52 ]

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2001 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im sorry to disagree..............say what you want.......BUT IT'S NEVER GOOD TO HURT PEOPLE.............as a matter of fact; all life should be cherished and treated with respect.

florida

[ This Message was edited by: iamrushman on 2001-06-23 21:07 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2001 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH NO!!! OOPS!! I WASN'T THINKING WHEN I POSTED THAT!!! what i meant to say was that it's always good to PROTECT people!

Oh my god, please except my sincerest apologies, i did NOT mean that! i was thinking about something else at the time.

Angus Argyle.

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2001 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To iamrushman, I know what you are saying and what you say I believe in myself. The problem with people who do not know humility is that they never learn it any other way. Their ego always gets in the way. As a senior student, I constantly have to deal with egos when I teach. Do not you go through the same with anyone you have taught? I learned humility by getting the crap kicked out of me. If you can teach a person from that, then is there a harm if the person realises that they are better off this way?

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2001 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes; bruising ones ego for the good of teaching one a lesson is acceptable. to bruise anothers body to protect one's self or the innocent is also acceptable. but to use excessive force when not required is not acceptable.

respectfully with a bow

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

ts757
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2001 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my view (I'm a completely non-violent person by the way) the only way to defend yourself against a determined opponent is to knock him unconcious with one blow. This is practically painless to the person, and ensures that you will not be harmed, though you may want to call for an ambulance afterwards....

My sensei says "Its better to be judged by 12, than to be carried by 6." I'm sure he didn't think of that.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: