Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Vladimir Putin now a 9th dan Reply with quote

http://www.salon.com/2013/11/14/vladimir_putin_taekwondo_master_partner/

President Putin recently received an honorary 9th dan from the WTF.

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to get into a political debate about the past Sombo Fighter Vladimir Putin. For some he is a Hero, David Cameron is a Hero for some too. I suppose it all depends on your point of view. These Honorary awards really puzzle me, on one hand I can see their value; but on another they're no more than a gesture of gratitude. But showing appreciation is never a bad thing.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to him in receiving his honorary 9th Dan in TKD.

andym
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, it is an honorary one. The reasoning - self interest by the WTF. That said, Putin at least trains and some bits I've seen are better than say WMAA videos, that have recently gone from YouTube. Shame, they were such a laugh.

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen some fellow Kukki-TKD folks get very upset about this. "How dare they give him a 9th Dan (even if it's honorary)."

The reality is it's an honorary rank, it's not like he'd legitimately call himself 'grandmaster.' Like an honorary doctorate given to a graduation speaker at a university graduation, it doesn't imbue them with a title or honors. No alum from a unversity would say, "I can't believe they gave an honorary doctorate to (this or that) person!" Because the honor itself is not important. If they didn't like the person they'd say, "I can't believe they invited so and so to speak."

We in MA get bent out of shape about the oddest things, sometimes. IMO

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IcemanSK wrote:
I've seen some fellow Kukki-TKD folks get very upset about this. "How dare they give him a 9th Dan (even if it's honorary)."

The reality is it's an honorary rank, it's not like he'd legitimately call himself 'grandmaster.' Like an honorary doctorate given to a graduation speaker at a university graduation, it doesn't imbue them with a title or honors. No alum from a unversity would say, "I can't believe they gave an honorary doctorate to (this or that) person!" Because the honor itself is not important. If they didn't like the person they'd say, "I can't believe they invited so and so to speak."

My sentiments exactly. Honorary belts / degrees don't equate to proficiency in the subject. I will say however that from personal experience competing in Russia, it does seem that Putin and his government are very supportive of the martial arts.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The honorary BB is a nice sentiment, but it's often misunderstood by its receivers. They think there really are that, when they're not at all.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
IcemanSK wrote:

My sentiments exactly. Honorary belts / degrees don't equate to proficiency in the subject. I will say however that from personal experience competing in Russia, it does seem that Putin and his government are very supportive of the martial arts.

Agreed. With the WTF being tied up in politics like it is, like it has to be, in order to remain an Olympic sport, things like this won't likely go unoticed by the IOC. And, the idea behind Martial Arts is that it can cross cultural and political barriers, etc etc.

He also does hold rank in Judo, so the guy is a Martial Artist at least. Congrats to him on this honorary title.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
DWx wrote:
IcemanSK wrote:

Agreed. With the WTF being tied up in politics like it is, like it has to be, in order to remain an Olympic sport, things like this won't likely go unoticed by the IOC. And, the idea behind Martial Arts is that it can cross cultural and political barriers, etc etc.

He also does hold rank in Judo, so the guy is a Martial Artist at least. Congrats to him on this honorary title.

I wholeheartedly concur!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: