Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Voided Of Something Reply with quote

What do YOU call it when a "MAists" knowledge is voided of experience?

Your thoughts.

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theoretical not Practical. An idea unpracticed or tested; how do you know a cake is sweet until you have tasted it? - and by then it's too late.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harkon72 wrote:
Theoretical not Practical. An idea unpracticed or tested; how do you know a cake is sweet until you have tasted it? - and by then it's too late.

Solid post!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit confused by what you mean here, Bob. Could you elaborate a bit more?

lowereastside
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: kung fu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Voided Of Something Reply with quote

sensei8 says " What do YOU call it when a "MAists" knowledge is voided of experience? "

My thoughts - I've been studying for 50 years - and during that time of been hit and hurt - but it was all in a controlled setting - Boxing gym - Karate dojo - kung fu Kwoon..........During my adult life from age 20 on ( i don't count the fights in my teens ) I've gotten into 3 fights 1 in my 20's - 1 in my 30's - 1 in my 40's. - In all 3 I was attacked 1st - and they went my way. That is the extent of my real life street fight experience - no Friday night brawls at the local Bar - A couple of my students have had that experience in getting into a whole bunch of fights - but marriage and kids have changed that.

My void or experience is that in a street attack - how will I react if someone hits me with a good right hand - hurts me ( no one to help or stop it ) badly - will I get up using my MA's or get up swinging like a wild man?. Either way survival is what its all about - going Home. Its a question I have always wondered about.

cheesefrysamurai
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Okinawan Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harkon nailed it. And to all of you fellow theorists out there - ill raise my glass to you! I will only prove myself if i'm forced - until then I'm strictly theoretical.

Harkon72 wrote:

Hawkmoon
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of the scene when Mr. Miyagi meets 'Daniel san' for the first time when he enters the apartment .... now think of the scene when 'Daniel' had a face full of dirt....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087538/
"A handyman/martial arts master agrees to teach a bullied boy karate and shows him that there is more to the martial art than fighting."

Its the last part of the last line for me:
"... there is more to the martial art than fighting."

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call it "opportunities to experiment and learn" the rest is up to the individual to take advantage of it. Merely theorizing about something serves little purpose. For theory to be of any use, it requires support, trials and experiments. Those who are not able or willing to do this cannot grow or improve and usually end up stagnating in skills and knowledge.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
I'm a bit confused by what you mean here, Bob. Could you elaborate a bit more?

Those who's MA knowledge had been garnered through studying books and the like, but have never been on the floor in any shape, way, and/or form.

Harkon72's definition as well, is what I mean here.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When a MAist is voided of experience, then that person is operating solely on second hand knowledge; devoid of actual experience.

It is like there is no such thing as a bad electrician, because all the bad ones have been electrocuted!

Point being, there are no MAist voided of experience, simply because it is impossible to be one without having any physical martial art experience.

I see people hitting a punching bag and bobbing about, to me they are trying to look like a boxer or they want to be a boxer. Just because people do what boxers do doesn't make them a boxer. They need to have the spirit of a boxer to be a boxer.

The people that contribute to this site are martial artists, because they have first hand knowledge and hands on experience. They share what they know so that it will raise the collective conciseness for all martial arts. MAist without anything to offer are just wasting everyone's time including their own.

Playing all of the martial art games or watching all the martial art movies in the world, a person can however be a martial art enthusiast. Just like there are enthusiasts with baseball and the like...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: