Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Vote Of No-Confidence?!? Reply with quote

In your opinion,

"A motion of no confidence (alternatively vote of no confidence, censure motion, no-confidence motion, or (unsuccessful) confidence motion) is a statement or vote that a person or persons in a position of responsibility (government, managerial, etc.) is no longer deemed fit to hold that position: perhaps because they are inadequate in some respect, are failing to carry out obligations, or are making decisions that other members feel are detrimental" ~~Wikipedia

Within your governing body, off and away from what Wikipedia says, just what constitutes a Vote of No-Confidence??

Oshishinobu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: ISKF Shotokan Karate, Italian Longsword, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Vote Of No-Confidence?!? Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
In your opinion,

"A motion of no confidence (alternatively vote of no confidence, censure motion, no-confidence motion, or (unsuccessful) confidence motion) is a statement or vote that a person or persons in a position of responsibility (government, managerial, etc.) is no longer deemed fit to hold that position: perhaps because they are inadequate in some respect, are failing to carry out obligations, or are making decisions that other members feel are detrimental" ~~Wikipedia

Within your governing body, off and away from what Wikipedia says, just what constitutes a Vote of No-Confidence??

I would say the party in control neglects commitments and or abuses their power.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Vote Of No-Confidence?!? Reply with quote

Oshishinobu wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
In your opinion,

I would say the party in control neglects commitments and or abuses their power.

Can neglects be warranted? Life does have a habit of getting in the way of the MA, no matter how hard one tries to avoid it.

As far as abuses...NO!! Blatant abuse can't be excused off; either ones a professional or one isn't!!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Vote Of No-Confidence?!? Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Oshishinobu wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
In your opinion,

Can neglects be warranted? Life does have a habit of getting in the way of the MA, no matter how hard one tries to avoid it.

As far as abuses...NO!! Blatant abuse can't be excused off; either ones a professional or one isn't!!

Neglets, whether due to life or not would in my mind still warrant a no-confidence vote. If you're not fit to carry out your duties for an extended period of time, it's only right to step down.

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intentional or unintentional neglect constitute cause for a no confidence vote.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Define, if it's even possible to do so, what might fall under the "neglect" category, please!

For example, COULD, me not being In-house on a more regular basis at our Hombu constitute neglect, as Kaicho [President]??

In a quick nutshell...

I'm only In-House at the Hombu once a quarter, during ramp-ups for our Annual Testing Cycle, emergencies that require my presence, and whenever I feel like making surprise visits. Roughly, 4 months a year. All of my "paperwork" can be done at my home...even though I have an office at the Hombu, I do my duties from the comfort of my home in Houston, TX, and before that, I owned and operated my dojo/retail in Tulsa, OK. I tele-video conference the Hombu on a weekly basis via Skype.

The Upper Hierarchy are quite aware of the who, what, when, where, why, and how of why I no longer live in the California, and the original approval of my not being In-House on a regular basis was given to me by our Dai-Soke a long time ago; this is nothing new.

So...

COULD, me not being In-house on a more regular basis at our Hombu constitute neglect, as Kaicho [President]??

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Define, if it's even possible to do so, what might fall under the "neglect" category, please!

For example, COULD, me not being In-house on a more regular basis at our Hombu constitute neglect, as Kaicho [President]??

In a quick nutshell...

I'm only In-House at the Hombu once a quarter, during ramp-ups for our Annual Testing Cycle, emergencies that require my presence, and whenever I feel like making surprise visits. Roughly, 4 months a year. All of my "paperwork" can be done at my home...even though I have an office at the Hombu, I do my duties from the comfort of my home in Houston, TX, and before that, I owned and operated my dojo/retail in Tulsa, OK. I tele-video conference the Hombu on a weekly basis via Skype.

The Upper Hierarchy are quite aware of the who, what, when, where, why, and how of why I no longer live in the California, and the original approval of my not being In-House on a regular basis was given to me by our Dai-Soke a long time ago; this is nothing new.

So...

COULD, me not being In-house on a more regular basis at our Hombu constitute neglect, as Kaicho [President]??

If this was 20 years ago, it could constitute neglect. In this day and age, with technology as you've mentioned, I highly doubt it could constitute neglect. I'm assuming your role is not running the day to day operations of the honbu, but rather the day to day operations of the organization as a whole, right? If your job is to make sure classes are being run correctly at the honbu, then it could be considered neglectful. If your job is administrative, then so long as you're in regular contact and are available immediately through technology, and available in person within a reasonable time, then you're not neglectful IMO.

Would it be better if you lived in the honbu? Sure. For the honbu anyway

Then again, isn't it your job to oversee the administration of all dojos in the organization? Isn't the honbu really more or less just another dojo in the organization (when all is said and done)?

Criticizing you for not being there is like criticizing the president for not being in the White House 24/7. If you can just as effectively carry on your duties and communicate them from a remote location, then you're fine. If not, then there's a problem.

Oshishinobu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: ISKF Shotokan Karate, Italian Longsword, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:

In a quick nutshell...

So...

When i say neglect I mean more in line of being able to do said duties but putting them off for no good reason or simply sweeping responsibilities under the rug. when life gets in the way or you are unable to make said commitments i would say if the situation has worked and there are few to any issues with stuff getting done i wouldn't worry.

The Pred
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:

In a quick nutshell...

So...

No nothing wrong with you not being there. Do you also travel to other dojo's?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
If this was 20 years ago, it could constitute neglect. In this day and age, with technology as you've mentioned, I highly doubt it could constitute neglect. I'm assuming your role is not running the day to day operations of the honbu, but rather the day to day operations of the organization as a whole, right? If your job is to make sure classes are being run correctly at the honbu, then it could be considered neglectful. If your job is administrative, then so long as you're in regular contact and are available immediately through technology, and available in person within a reasonable time, then you're not neglectful IMO.

To the bold type above...
You're absolutely correct. Greg Forsythe, our Kancho [Vice-President] tends to the Hombu on a daily basis; he's In-House!! As you've noted, I oversee the Hombu as its Executive Administrator, as a whole.

JR 137 wrote:
Would it be better if you lived in the honbu? Sure. For the honbu anyway

I suppose it would be better if I was In-House.

JR 137 wrote:
Then again, isn't it your job to oversee the administration of all dojos in the organization? Isn't the honbu really more or less just another dojo in the organization (when all is said and done)?

Yes, the Hombu, when all is said and done, is nothing more than a dojo.

No, my duties as Kaicho have nothing to do with overseeing the administration of all dojos in the SKKA network. Soke made that perfectly clear in the original By-Laws. Shindokan dojos within the SKKA [Hombu] are owned and operated and administered by their CI, and not by the Hombu. As basic as I can put this...The Hombu's core influences over any Shindokan dojo within the SKKA network are in administering any and all Testing Cycles; no one is permitted and/or allowed to administer any type of Testing Cycle without the explicit approval from the Hombu!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: