Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

martyn413
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Wado Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Wado ryu or Shotokan Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and don't want to start a wado ryu vs shotokan debate.

I want to return to Karate after a long break of about 8 years. I use to train at a local club that tought Wado Ryu but slightly adapted. I gained 3rd Kyu.

I had a few lessons this year but my fitness was terrible. I remembered some of the basics and katas but I was knackered after 1 hour. I think after about 3-6 months, I'd be at an ok level.

I want to start training again however, there aren't many wado ryu clubs in my area. The closest one is 13 miles away. However, there is a shotokan club that is walking distance from my home.

What I would like to know is:

Would I loose my brown belt in wado if I started shotokan? - Even if i didn't, should I work my way up the grades?

Would I get confused during the katas/stances as they're slightly different?

Should I continue with wado ryu and drive the 13 miles?

Has anyone gone from wado ryu to shotokan or vice versa? If so, how did you find it?

To be honest, I think I'm just nervous going to any club as an adult out of my comfort zone.

Also, I'm not settled in my current location, I could either move closer to the wado club (not just for karate) or stay where I am.

Any advise will be appreciated

Regards,
Martyn

isshinryu5toforever
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshin-Ryu Karate, Jidokwon Taekwondo, Kyokushinkan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're ever switching from one style to another, start over. If you show a great affinity for the new style, they might grade you faster. If they don't, don't worry and don't be surprised.

Look at my style list. Okinawan Karate, Taekwondo, and Japanese Karate in that order, I started at white belt in every single one. I was a 4th dan in Isshinryu Karate when I started Taekwondo and had picked up a first dan in that when I started Kyokushin. I picked up the material fast, so I graded to 2nd kyu at my first grading. It all depends on YOU. How good you are at remembering things, how good you are at that style's techniques, and how well you can perform them under pressure.

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."
- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Soheir
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kyokushin karate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't wear my old belt even if it was allowed. And in all cases you have to work up the grades on some level. You might do it faster, but I believe there is that much differences between those styles.
I think you should choose the one you like better..It doesn't really matter if you get confused on stances or such, if you're willing to train and to understand the philosophy of the style, you will get better.
“One reason so few of us achieve what we truly want is that we never direct our focus; we never concentrate our power. Most people dabble their way through life, never deciding to master anything in particular.” -Anthony Robbins

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think 13 miles is too bad a drive to keep doing what you know. But, if it is a factor, then the Shotokan might be right for you. I would not say that you would "lose" your rank in Wado, because the Shotokan school can't take it or the knowledge you obtained away. With that said, they don't have to honor the rank, and may expect you to start over at white belt, which is reasonable when transitioning from one style to another. The forms may be a little different, but if you get into it and focus, I wouldn't think that as a big deal, either. It will all come with time.

Let us know what you decide.

martyn413
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a wado ryu club not to far. My only concern is training is only for 1 hour. Having said that, my fitness is shot so I think one hour is plenty.

Thanks for your replies.

Regards,
Martyn

JohnASE
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you didn't have Wado experience, I'd say check out both schools, especially the instructors, and decide based on that. Even with your experience, I'd suggest the same thing. Your experience would probably help you more at the Wado school, but I think it would help you learn Shotokan faster, too.

Regarding keeping rank, I don't think it's important, especially in the long run. You'll learn as fast as you'll learn. Some dojos might let you wear your old belt as a sort of probationary thing while you learn the new style, although most would probably start you as white belt or close to it. Either way, you'll need to learn the material. Like others have mentioned, if you're good, maybe they'll accelerate your progress.

I don't think you'll have too much trouble adapting to a new style. We've had many customer switch styles, but I don't remember anyone having too much trouble working it out.

martyn413
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now attended the Shotokan club and really enjoyed training.

I have to say, there are quite a few differences between shotokan and wado ryu. I will get use to them in time - there is no rush.

The instructor is really good and the club is really close (only 1 mile away).

I am now hurting from training. Haven't exercised like that for almost a year. My hamstrings were tight before but now they're feeling a but sore.

I need to research some tips on streaching for tight hamstrings. Oh and maybe move a bit more. Since I passed my driving test, I don't walk as much as I use to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: