Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

datguy
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Taekwondo, Judo, and Kickboxing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Want to Box Reply with quote

I want to box. I've always wanted to box since I was around 7 years old. Well, here I am 8 years later and I have yet to do it. My parents are afraid of the so called "negative aspects" of boxing and won't let me. Seeing as I still live under their rules and I'm only 15 I have to respect their rules. But is there anything I could say or do that might change their minds?
“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do some research, make them aware of the safety measures, and give them an idea of how much work goes on in the gym, and how much time is alloted to bag work, conditioning, sparring, etc, and give them a layout.

When you say you want to Box, and you see all the gym time, bag work, mitt work, conditioning, and the sparring. Your parents probably just see you getting the snot knocked out of you buy semi-pros for 90 minutes straight in the gym. So give them a good picture of what it is you will be doing, and see if it changes their mind.

Good luck!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently had a boxing taster session and it was good fun. And tbh we spent very little of the time hitting each other; it was all drilling the techniques, shadow boxing, mitt work and lots and lots of core strength exercises (the dreaded plank!).

I'd follow Brian's advice. Maybe see if there's a local gym where you could take them to watch a few classes. Surely its not that much worse than what you currently do? e.g. getting dumped on the mat in Judo probably hurts as bad as getting punched in the gut in boxing.

datguy
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Taekwondo, Judo, and Kickboxing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas! I'll try them out. The problem is, my parents' knowledge of martial arts is limited to movies and what I try to explain to them. They don't view boxing as a martial art and to be quite honest, I'm not sure they know how easy it is to get the wind knocked out of you if kicked or flipped. I can appreciate their concern for my safety, but they just have the wrong idea.
“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: