Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, I can see where it has started with this guy. The whole culture of "Only tell your students what they need to know." is rife here in North Wales. This so called Sensei has linage to one of the most prestigious fraudulent grade and status merchants in British Martial Arts. He claims to be an 8th Dan, if you ask the right people you will learn that he was never a 1st Dan or a 3rd Dan either. He calls himself "Kyoshi" without knowing what the word means and by total brown nosing is even included in the American Martial Arts Hall of Fame! It's quite ridiculous and local Sensei who used to be his students know the situation very well. This doesn't stop them teaching utter rubbish and charging the earth for it. If they see that you begin to see them for what they are, they get rid of you pretty quick. Our local "Master" is a chip off the old block. It's a sad fact, because of this practice, the Karate schools of North Wales have a very poor reputation. Most karate students are gullible kids and real Karateka are very few. I believe North Wales is not unique in this respect.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what you posted in the OP as well as your other posts, I have to say that he's a fraud. Sad that this will continue world wide because there's no, and there will never be one, a central governing body that will weed out those types.

The unscrupulous types are allowed because the law can't seem to ascertain how it can define legitimacy in the MA! If this fraud says he's this and that, then, by the smallest notion, he is! In the USA, all this fraud needs to exercise his continued falsehood is a letterhead; sad, but true!!

To end his falsehood, it will take his students to walk away from him forever! After all, a "Master" without a student is a lonely walk!! Students feed his falsehood, and for the "beast" to die, it needs to starve...to not have his ego feed!

He claims to be a Kyoshi, but he doesn't know its proper definition?? Fishy!! Did he test for Kyoshi? If he said he did...he's suspect because a Shogo title is bestowed upon, therefore, not earned thru a testing cycle!!

I wish you best with him, but I'd run fast away from him! Proof is on the floor!!

He didn't want to spar? That's fine! Not many heads will, especially if they've reports available to do so! I'm Kaicho...I'm also Kudan....I don't always spar during testing cycles, especially at the Hombu's annual testing cycle, however, I've enough reports available to tend to this task! I will spar with candidates that are testing for Nanadan and Hachidan!! Now, for this Sempai to refuse, no, that won't work! No excuses!! Albeit, if there's a medical reason on file, that will be the only exception, however, there should be more than enough available reports to tend to this matter!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't use grading/licensing books over here, so that's new to me. From what you mention, though, it definitely sounds like something worth looking into as far as fraud goes.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
We don't use grading/licensing books over here, so that's new to me. From what you mention, though, it definitely sounds like something worth looking into as far as fraud goes.

Yeah, I concur with you, Brian!! Maybe, it's the beginning of having a one central governing body...maybe!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

Yeah, I concur with you, Brian!! Maybe, it's the beginning of having a one central governing body...maybe!!

I doubt it will ever happen.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

I doubt it will ever happen.

Me too, but I can dream!

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
I'm confused on the license thing, as well. Could you elaborate on that more?

As for the sparring, I think that is odd. Why would they refuse to spar with you? And do you feel you were ranked undeservedly because you did not spar?

That is unusual where the sempai and sensei refused to spar you. I know many schools that have a desk and the instructors will sit behind it and tell you what to do from there.

Every single grading my sensei has run and i have ever been to 90% of the instructors that are there jump in and spars everyone. The only reason it is 90% and not 100% because they need 1 or 2 people to write any notes down on people who are fighting.

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Old School tradition is that as the person being tested, you can call any karateka of higher grade in the room for the kumite. It makes sense, if they aspire to grade you or they stand in support of your elders, they are up for testing you. It's old fashioned, but I think it's right. If a man wants to grade he must be willing to fight; safely of course, at least in modern dojos.

RAM18
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Wado Ryu, Brazillian Jujitsu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting on the license. My slip has a hand written number for our club ID but as i can clearly see the who the governing body is and i could (and have) checked it out with them. They are easily found online - My club use http://www.nakmas.org.uk/ which covers your personal insurance from injury or injury to others in martial arts. I pay £20 per year for this on top of my membership. They also hold a record of all Blackbelts registered under there licensing which can be found online too. You should be able to easily look up online your slip to see if the insurance is a genuine company or not...and if they have a record off you!

As for the sparring...not something i have come across. Our instructors jump at the chance of a bit of kumite

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked into this, the facts are as follows.
1) You don't need a licence to practice martial arts in the UK unless you are a professional fighter. Their existence is by product of a myth.
2) You don't need independent insurance to practice martial arts. It is a choice, your club's policy should cover you. You may be sued as an individual for negligence, so it is a good idea. A child cannot hold any as they are not a legal entity.
3) Most of the martial arts in the UK bear no resemblance to their parent style. They carry the name of the style, but seldom resemble the original.
4) The belt system is a Western invention. To ask a student to achieve 20 or more belts before reaching Dan grade is a revenue builder, nothing more.
5) The existence of Child Black Belts trivialises what the status of a Dan grade is.
6) If someone tells you that they achieved a Dan grade in 2 years, try not to laugh.
Thoughts?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: