Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

aznkarateboi
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: shaolin gung fu southern style

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 6:49 pm    Post subject: Wavemaster? Reply with quote

Is the wavemaster a good substitute for a real punching bag? also, can a very advanced and experienced karate student defeat a good boxing student?

Shogun
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kenpo, Wushu

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, a wavemaster is not a sub for the heavybag, i have both and they are much differant.

my belief is that a good karate student will generally beat a good boxing student. boxing only uses hands, while karate uses both hands and feet in harmony.

King of Fighters
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No wavemasters arnt at all as good as real punching bags and it depends what style of karate and the way that each teacher teaches. In general i believe that the boxer would win because boxing gyms usually train thier students really hard and they usually do hard sparring where karate gyms dont always. But you if you get a good karate dojo then there are equal chances.

Shogun
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kenpo, Wushu

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm good point, i didnt think of the fact that alot of places dont train their students for actual fighting. some dont spar at all

heh im now ranked as a yellow belt here. cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Wavemaster? Reply with quote

aznkarateboi wrote:
Is the wavemaster a good substitute for a real punching bag? also, can a very advanced and experienced karate student defeat a good boxing student?

Wavemasters do no possess the weight like a heavy bag, but is better than the alternative of no bag at all.

As far as anyone beating anyone else, really depends on alot of factors. I do find that many martial arts styles do not train "fight conditioning" in the way that a boxer or ring sport would.

http://www.liveyyc.com

Calgary Photographer: http://www.jdirom.com

Red J
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo Sandan

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wavemaster was a good choice for me since I don't have any spare beams to hang the heavy from. I had one in a different house and when you really moved it the whole house shook!

Tombstone
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wavemasters are great when you consider their purpose. Doesn't take up much space and easily moved.

As for it being a substitute for a heavy bag, I don't think so. But you'll see more Wavemasters in peoples home than heavy bags simply because a lack of space.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: