Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shito-ryu, Goju-ryu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note to self: Remember right mae geri before kosa dachi ”fist snap” (ura ken?) in Pinan Yondan

Not a day without a kata

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a great, high-intensity club training session yesterday. Among other things we went through all five pinan katas and bunkai for Yondan and Godan. Really enjoyed the arm takedowns we practiced. Also had time for some free form kumite before finishing.

Notes to self:

Strength
- aim for 100 crunches

Kihon
- open hikite hand that doesn't kaeshi, kept at solar plexus height parallell to elbow
- always open hikite hand when doing kaeshi

Kata
- feet close together in pinan sandan
- "block-strike-move" in Yondan/Godan aims for pressure point on inside of leg with knuckle

Kumite
- if high guard close to chin, be prepared to push away with kaeshi as partner moves close - otherwise hands are easily caught
- return hand immediately after punch in order to not lean over and lose balance

Not a day without a kata

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great session yesterday, focusing a lot on endurance, strength and basics (legs are aching in that marvellous way today)

I had almost forgotten I had ordered a new training bag through my C.I. that he brought. A beautiful black and orange one that says "Shito-ryu" on the side. Now it will be even more enjoyable to go training - meaning no offense to my old, faithful little bag with broken zipper.

Best of luck with your training this week, fellow karatekas - practice makes progress...

Not a day without a kata

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always interesting when a guest instructor leads a club session. Had a great such tonight. Went through a for me entirely new kata, ”Ananko”.

Really enjoyed the constant change in directions and between the numerous techniques and stances in that one. May very well become a new favorite when I’ll eventually learn it by heart.

Glad I’ve kept doing my 33+33+34 crunches practice at home - got to count number crunches 80-100 today.

Finally starting to learn that I can block during kumite with open hand, as long as I hold the fingers closely together.

Not a day without a kata

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Training focused on the upcoming test started today. I performed ”Pinan yondan” twice in front of other club members as we went through solo performances of katas as preparation.

Afterwards my C.I. told me that he thinks I am ready to test for 4 kyu! Thus the time of the semester filled with a mixture of excitement and nervousness begins.

Will put more focus on the new pinan kata (yondan) and go through all the katas once a day the week before the test that takes place in about 20 days. Looking forward to once again training with more focus and determination for a while.

Other than that I got to practice both ”Ananko”, ”Sanchin” and ”Juroko” today.

Notes to self:
- Two double blocks - one low, one high - before ”pull back” in yondan
- Keep lower hand higher in order to protect solar plexus when performing ”kaeshi”

Not a day without a kata

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great news! Best of luck with your upcoming test! You'll do great!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
That's great news! Best of luck with your upcoming test! You'll do great!

I wholeheartedly agree!! Remember the test will take care of itself, therefore, there's nothing to fret over. NO ONE scores 100 on any Testing Cycle!!

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much bushido_man and sensei for your encouraging and reassuring words.

Not a day without a kata

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doubt creeping up on me as I missed last session due to a clumpsy car logistics mess-up. I did do a solo session and even got my oldest son to put on boxing gloves for me to kick and punch on a "real" target.

But...only one club session remains before the test. One part of me whispers: "You're not ready, stay on 5 kyu another semester, think about the new demands, weight of new responsibilites each new grade brings" And on the other hand my C.I:s assuring words that I'm ready to test.

I think much of it has to do with my heavy focus on solo training. Actually getting to the club dojo does not occur as often as I would like it to. Not too fond of standing by my own doing katas and other parts I'm not 100 percent happy with in front of the entire club either.

And yet...I'll probably get up there this time as well. I know I will go there to watch the others test - and once there I would feel really sorry if I would consider myself "not ready" and skip, although my C.I. says otherwise.

Fear and excitement, dark and light - nobody said the path of the martial artist would be an easy one to walk...

Not a day without a kata

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doubt is an evil thing!! Doubt is NOT permanent!! Doubt is allowed by the practitioner!! There's one thing about doubt...you either defeat it or your become a prisoner of it!!

Here's another thing about doubt whenever it comes to ones Testing Cycle...allow the Testing Cycle take care of ITSELF!! Worrying about it only exacerbates the problem, which is doubt. You'll never ever receive a 100%. Do you know what you can do to get a 100% in?? EFFORT!!!!!

Whether you pass or not doesn't matter because pass or fail just isn't that important; it's just a thing. A thing that as not and will not define you as both a human being and/or a MAist. A thing is just a thing that's only a want, not a need.

Did you put forward your best at all times on the floor, no matter the whereabouts of said floor during our training and practice?? Or were your efforts put forward in a lackadaisical fashion?? I sincerely believe that that's not you.

Nothing wrong with remaining 5th Kyu, none at all. Why?? Rank is NEVER important, only the acquired knowledge and experience!! Your Sensei believes enough in your abilities so much that he allowed you to attend the upcoming Testing Cycle; don't dishonor him by second guessing his knowledge and experience.

So what if you fail the Testing Cycle, so what!?!?! Worse things are far more important especially in ones MA journey. I know that you are doing all that you can do in order to improve your own MA betterment...I know that...I feel that in my bones.

Big deal you miss some classes...big deal. You know what?? Life has a rude habit of getting in the way of ones MA journey, in which, life doesn't apologize never ever.

Pass or fail...either way it's a challenge, and every challenge is a chance for an opportunity, and every opportunity is a chance to learn; don't ever allow it to pass you by. Get with other students OUTSIDE of the dojo, and train with exuberant diligence, not for the upcoming Testing Cycle, but because it's the right thing, and your MA betterment deserves it. Solo training or not is STILL TRAINING. Honest and sincere training is one being honest with yourself to the Nth degree. If one can't be honest with themselves, then stay off the floor; the floor always deserves that respect.

You'll be fine!! Train hard and train well!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 10 of 25
Jump to: