Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 23, 24, 25  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Kusotare
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Traditional Japanese Karate, Koryu Bujutsu (Jujutsu, Iaido and Kenjutsu)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayofaswede wrote:
Did my first free-form kumite during yesterday's training. A rather unpleasant experience due to a number of factors:

- I did kumite with a higher graded (7th kyu vs my 8th kyu), apparently used to sparring
- She attacked both often and hard (accidentally hit my face once)
- Since I broke my toe for the second time less than a year ago, I felt very reluctant about attacking with my "better", right foot in free-form
- when I managed to block her kick, it really hurt a lot
- I eventually felt afraid of getting hit and didn't want to attack for fear of accidentally being hit again
- I got really tired after half the time

It was an interesting, intense experience - but I feel that right now I am much more interested in the kata/correct technique aspect of karate than in actually sparring.

Maybe that will change along the way, but this was my first - rather scary - experience of free-form kumite (albeit supposed to be "soft contact")...

Your experience is probably the most common amongst those who start training - particularly later in life.

Fact is, we are hard wired to 'dislike' violence (even if we are told it isn't violence but in fact 'soft contact').

I notice you were sparring someone who, although senior to you, is still quite Junior. In our Dojo, beginners are introduced to kumite by sparring with seniors (dan grades). This allows them to develop basic skills with the comfort of knowing they're not going to get hurt (you are far more likely to get injured if you fight someone who is pretty much the same grade as you).

In time - and if your instructor has the skills to teach you, kumite becomes enjoyable and it is important to participate - in some cases learning the hard way is the only way in martial arts.

Keep at it.

K.

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shito-ryu, Goju-ryu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, Kusotare.

Happy to hear that there is nothing unusual in how I experienced the kumite. Yes, it felt very strange to suddenly start punching and kicking against a woman I didn't know, even though it was in a dojo and for training purposes.

Sensei paired us together and instructed us to "take it really easy, primarily just focusing on experiencing the footwork", but my partner went much faster and harder than that.

My biggest fear in the dojo - something that surely has to do with my 39+ age and the fact that I've broken my toe twice (first time during karate training) - is to be injured and forced to stop training (and even working) again. This does hold me back somewhat in such a free, uncontrolled training situation as kumite. Hopefully I can make up for it through dedicated kata/technique practice.

I believe kumite is now a required part of the tests for 7th kyu and higher - something that has made me somewhat discouraged when I think about aiming for higher grades eventually, after the slightly fearsome kumite experience.

Not a day without a kata

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kumite takes some getting use to, and seeing that Kumite is part of the three K's [Kihon/Kata/Kumite], one will have to get use to them all because they're an intricate part of Karate-do; sooner one gets use to them, the better off that practitioner will be.

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for introducing the "Three K:s" concept. I will keep that in mind - and I'm sure kumite will eventually feel more natural.

I also really shouldn't be thinking about what comes after 7th kyu and beyond. Here and now is what matters and to do my utmost at the current level I'm at.

Have updated my daily motto to: "Not a day without a kata". At the moment I'm returning to the very first "5 block kata". Basics are the building blocks for all that is to come after.

Also got the DVD with all katas for 8th-1st kyu performed by sensei. Great reference and inspiration.

My next goal is to thoroughly learn everything that I should know for the 7th kyu test and take that test once I feel sure enough about the required kihon/kata/kumite. If I don't feel ready at the end of this semester, I'll keep training the semester after that. And after that. And after that. Here and now, the journey is the goal, Karate is for life.

Not a day without a kata

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuggets of knowledge from today's training:

- A block involves both hands, not just the blocking hand. They can "reach" across open and then "pull" together clenched as the block is performed
- A bunkai from one of the katas
- Jin no kata san has the same moves as jin no kata ichi, the difference lies in the length of the stances and the punch

Osu!

Not a day without a kata

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learning the Kihon [Basics] as a beginner that blocks are just that, however, a block isn't always a block in Kata, whereas in Kumite, a block might just be that. As time goes by, you'll learn, style dependent, as well that a block isn't a block at all, but it's a deflector, and oftentimes, it receives the attack, like a wide receiver would do during a football game.

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks sensei, wise remarks.

Finally returned to the dojo today after a period of ill children and being ill myself (February is hopeless when you have toddlers).

Have been keeping my "Not a day without a kata" though, most days adding in some blocks and punches as well.

Realized today that I should step back not forward during first block of the Go ho no uke kata. Makes much more sense as the first and second block then "flows" in the same direction.

Good to be back on the floor, training together with my sons.

Not a day without a kata

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayofaswede wrote:
Did my first free-form kumite during yesterday's training. A rather unpleasant experience due to a number of factors:

- I did kumite with a higher graded (7th kyu vs my 8th kyu), apparently used to sparring
- She attacked both often and hard (accidentally hit my face once)
- Since I broke my toe for the second time less than a year ago, I felt very reluctant about attacking with my "better", right foot in free-form
- when I managed to block her kick, it really hurt a lot
- I eventually felt afraid of getting hit and didn't want to attack for fear of accidentally being hit again
- I got really tired after half the time

It was an interesting, intense experience - but I feel that right now I am much more interested in the kata/correct technique aspect of karate than in actually sparring.

Maybe that will change along the way, but this was my first - rather scary - experience of free-form kumite (albeit supposed to be "soft contact")...

Some of this anxiety will go away with more and more time being back. Glad to see that you're really going for it. No one likes all of training, but putting yourself out there and participating deposit qualms is one of the great things about the arts. Keep it up!

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the encouragement. I am sure that repetition and training will make me less afraid and passive while doing kumite. Yesterday we did some warm-up exercises with connection to kumite, although we were only supposed to do the footwork and touch the opponents shoulder/knee and also holding the gi and belt to do some standing wrestling (without throwing)

I do enjoy these kind of "competitive" exercises and they are really good training - you get SO tired in such a short amount of time!

Not a day without a kata

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuggets of knowledge after todays training:

1) First move in Emppi Roppo kata is forward with raised left hand
2) The front hand should often be steady and ready to push forward, almost like a punch in bunkai/kumite
3) Back foot should often be left with heel down, when punching, to retain power through the motion (starting with the hips)
4) The side of the hand and arm leads the motion in Emppi Roppo
5) Remember to exhale when getting punched to receive the impact better

Finally a session where the stubborn cold felt all gone and I could train really hard again. Osu!

Not a day without a kata
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 2 of 25
Jump to: