Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shito-ryu, Goju-ryu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So true, Sensei

The thing about rank is that my sense of responsibility to be a role model - stand in the front row, not in the back during strength training, being uke for the C.I. etc grows with each new grade. As it obviously should.

That is when the vicious voice called comfort starts whispering about how much more pleasant and relaxing an hour in the dojo would be if you were still a white belt...

I guess this has somewhat to do with my profession as a teacher. Leading and teaching children all day fills that need for being responsible and pedagogic in a way that I sometimes wish I could keep improving and getting better - and at the same time remain an anonymous beginner.

I do try to always put forward my best - sometimes I'm afraid I take things to seriously, to the brink of obsession - because that is what I feel is what I should do. That continuous effort is sometimes like carrying a burdening responsibility.

Still I know that the challenge is what makes us grow and learn as human beings - so I'll keep challenging myself, keep pushing, exploring boundaries both physically and mentally.

I'll keep training hard, and hopefully well - thanks for listening to these thoughts put into words and telling me how you perceive my MA journey, from your point of view.

Not a day without a kata

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the 4 kyu test has to wait until next semester. My toddlers passed on their flu and although I kept hoping that I would get well soon enough, today I had to inform my C.I. that I had to postpone until spring.

Hope the rest of you have been able to train - and maybe even test - as planned.

Not a day without a kata

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karate is really starting to influence the way I look at aspects of my everyday life. Never before have I felt such an urge to actually turn around and bow - as when leaving the club dojo - before leaving the office or workplace for the holiday. Karate teaches me so much about handling the everyday conflicts that occur in a public school - and handling everyday conflicts in a public school teaches me so much about Karate.

Some days I feel truly blessed that I get the opportunity to walk the path of Budo, the path of life.

Not a day without a kata

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Delta.

Last solo training session of the year just took place - it’s been a really good one from a Karate perspective with one passed test and solo training sessions (incorporating both strength, kihon and kata) as an essential part of each week.

Wish all you fellow karetekas a great 2019!

Not a day without a kata

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First club session of the year was today!

I will add one of the drills we did to my regular routine of blocks I go through continuously.

Great to be back in the club dojo again

Not a day without a kata

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayofaswede wrote:
Karate is really starting to influence the way I look at aspects of my everyday life. Never before have I felt such an urge to actually turn around and bow - as when leaving the club dojo - before leaving the office or workplace for the holiday. Karate teaches me so much about handling the everyday conflicts that occur in a public school - and handling everyday conflicts in a public school teaches me so much about Karate.

Some days I feel truly blessed that I get the opportunity to walk the path of Budo, the path of life.

After all, Karate-do, is a way of life; the word "do", represents "way", therefore, Karate IS a Way of life. In everything that one does, thinks, and speaks is through Karate with every aspect becoming deeply ingrained through time.

Being away from the floor starts to become an unsettling disconnection, as though one can't properly function without the MA as that grounding force in ones life. I'm always speaking about time because time is that vital element that molds and shapes the MAist.

There's not a minute that goes by whereas the MA isn't on my mind in one shape, way, and/or form; but that took time for that to become that constant thought and action in my life.

I can no more not eat, drink, breathe, and/or speak the MA in some shape, way, and/or form, than a fish can survive outside of water, whereas, both, are sustained my that which brings it life.

Some might say that that's an unhealthy obsession!! Then I say that those who say that very same thing have never experienced that true WAY of life, that can only be received through, and to, the MA; to them I encourage them to do one thing before they unceremoniously judge the MA...Taste and see that the MA is good.

Yet, if they have tasted the MA, and it wasn't good, then perhaps, they didn't allow enough effective time and/or the source of which their MA emitted from was spoiled to the core.

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True and wise words, sensei. As always

Not a day without a kata

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catch-up test for us that missed the one at the end of last semester is coming up in less than two weeks.

We had a really physically demanding session this Sunday, so I have now added two more exercises to my regular "strength" routine - I do strength/kihon/kata when I train solo at home. What's fun is that my oldest son always wants to join for just the strength part

The strength part of my solo session is now:
-20+10+10 push-ups (regular with hands wide apart/knuckles/hands forming triangle
-30 squats
-33+33+34 crunches
- Static training of holding each leg outstretched in a yoko geri

On monday (club training Sunday as usual) I'll go into "test mode" and go through required katas on a daily basis.

Train well!

Not a day without a kata

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I passed the test for 4 kyu yesterday!

Thank you very much for all encouraging and wise words along the way. The road goes ever on...

Not a day without a kata

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 11 of 25
Jump to: