Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shito-ryu, Goju-ryu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
As I'm always reminding you of...Train hard and train well!! Even though they're closed for now!! You got this!!!!!!

Thank you sensei, your replies are always encouraging and enlightening

Not a day without a kata

Byzantine
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Kyokushin, Judo, Aikijutsu, JJJ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Turnips better

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byzantine wrote:
I like Turnips better

Turnips?

Starting this semester with a cold. Had really been looking forward to today’s club dojo session - it’s been so long - but it seems the virus my toddlers have had caught me too. Soon though. Soon. Always a bit nervous going back for the first session after summer, really don’t like missing the first one...

Not a day without a kata

Byzantine
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayofaswede wrote:
Byzantine wrote:
I like Turnips better

Turnips?

Starting this semester with a cold. Had really been looking forward to today’s club dojo session - it’s been so long - but it seems the virus my toddlers have had caught me too. Soon though. Soon. Always a bit nervous going back for the first session after summer, really don’t like missing the first one...

Lol sorry, it was a lame joke
Swedes and turnips are both vegetables
Anyway, I'm glad you are enjoying your training! Osu

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byzantine wrote:
Wayofaswede wrote:
Byzantine wrote:
I like Turnips better

Turnips?

I see Fun to learn a new word, being an English teacher in a public school here in Sweden I’m always looking to expand my vocabulary

Not a day without a kata

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayofaswede wrote:
Byzantine wrote:
Wayofaswede wrote:
Byzantine wrote:
I like Turnips better

Turnips?

I see Fun to learn a new word, being an English teacher in a public school here in Sweden I’m always looking to expand my vocabulary

For a bit of useless trivia, in England, the vegetable that most people call a turnip is actually not a turnip but a swede, which is part of the beet family along with beetroot. Which reminds me. The thing many know as spinach is actually not spinach at all but the young leaves of the beet. So we eat the roots of the beet and call it beetroot, and we eat the leaves of the beet and call it, spinach. A particularly large kind of beet is the swede which we call, turnip, while an actual turnip is fairly small and often mistaken for white radish.

Useless veg trivia I know, but in my defence, I never started it lol.

I mentioned that a particularly large variety of beet is called the swede, which most call a turnip. The swede has another colloquial name in the southwest of England. That is the wurzel. A large rather bland variety of which is rarely consumed by humans but is often fed to livestock. This is the mangold wurzel, which has nothing to do with mangolds, but does lend itself conveniently to the name of a cheesy pop/rock tribute band that likes the famous band from the 70s, that is the mangled wurzels, tribute of course to The Wurzels. Although some might say calling a wurzels tribute band the mangled wurzels is in slightly bad taste, considering that the founder of the original wurzels band, Adge Cutler, was tragically killed early in his career in a car accident.

Sorry. Massive tangent of veg related tenuous trivia there

Byzantine
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneKickWonder wrote:
Wayofaswede wrote:
Byzantine wrote:
Wayofaswede wrote:
Byzantine wrote:
I like Turnips better

Turnips?

For a bit of useless trivia, in England, the vegetable that most people call a turnip is actually not a turnip but a swede, which is part of the beet family along with beetroot. Which reminds me. The thing many know as spinach is actually not spinach at all but the young leaves of the beet. So we eat the roots of the beet and call it beetroot, and we eat the leaves of the beet and call it, spinach. A particularly large kind of beet is the swede which we call, turnip, while an actual turnip is fairly small and often mistaken for white radish.

I mentioned that a particularly large variety of beet is called the swede, which most call a turnip. The swede has another colloquial name in the southwest of England. That is the wurzel. A large rather bland variety of which is rarely consumed by humans but is often fed to livestock. This is the mangold wurzel, which has nothing to do with mangolds, but does lend itself conveniently to the name of a cheesy pop/rock tribute band that likes the famous band from the 70s, that is the mangled wurzels, tribute of course to The Wurzels. Although some might say calling a wurzels tribute band the mangled wurzels is in slightly bad taste, considering that the founder of the original wurzels band, Adge Cutler, was tragically killed early in his career in a car accident.

OMG What have I done lol

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneKickWonder wrote:
Wayofaswede wrote:
Byzantine wrote:
Wayofaswede wrote:
Byzantine wrote:
I like Turnips better

Turnips?

Interesting trivia - languages and music are two big passions of mine (been a drummer since Metallica's "Black album" in the early 90's). Mostly into prog rock/metal though or other obscure genres with awesome drummers.

Not a day without a kata

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byzantine wrote:

OMG What have I done lol

Suit your Selleri! (if that's the proper english name as well...)

Not a day without a kata

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally able to participate in the first club training session this semester today!

Among other things we practiced the two pinan katas for 4 and 3 kyu, Yondan and Godan.

Not a day without a kata
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 8 of 25
Jump to: