Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayofaswede wrote:
Finally able to participate in the first club training session this semester today!

Among other things we practiced the two pinan katas for 4 and 3 kyu, Yondan and Godan.

Yondan provides a bunch of yummy things across the board as far as its Kihon and Bunkai are concerned. The upgrading of transitions are quite exciting, or can be.

I love drilling it backwards in segments...I'm evil that way.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayofaswede wrote:
Finally able to participate in the first club training session this semester today!

Among other things we practiced the two pinan katas for 4 and 3 kyu, Yondan and Godan.

Sounds like it will be lots of fun. Hope you enjoy yourself.

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shito-ryu, Goju-ryu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:

Yondan provides a bunch of yummy things across the board as far as its Kihon and Bunkai are concerned. The upgrading of transitions are quite exciting, or can be.

Yes, Pinan 1-3 (especially 1-2) has been drilled almost every session. 4 and 5 moves into much less known territory. What surprised me the first time I saw yondan was that one of the stances looked just like the ones I associate with Kung Fu. Little did I know then about the history of karate and its Chinese influences.

Backwards in segments...sounds very hard, but fun and inspiring. Any particular favorite kihon or bunkai from Yondan you would like to pick out and elaborate some on? Curious and interested to hear about such. Relation to kihon/bunkai always makes parts of a kata seem more logical and makes it easier to remember

Not a day without a kata

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:

Sounds like it will be lots of fun. Hope you enjoy yourself.

Thank you, I sure am. Immediately realized and remembered how much more intense and demanding a club session is compared to my solo ones in the livingroom where it's much easier to pick more comfortable kihon, strength exercises and katas

Not a day without a kata

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayofaswede wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

Yes, Pinan 1-3 (especially 1-2) has been drilled almost every session. 4 and 5 moves into much less known territory. What surprised me the first time I saw yondan was that one of the stances looked just like the ones I associate with Kung Fu. Little did I know then about the history of karate and its Chinese influences.

Backwards in segments...sounds very hard, but fun and inspiring. Any particular favorite kihon or bunkai from Yondan you would like to pick out and elaborate some on? Curious and interested to hear about such. Relation to kihon/bunkai always makes parts of a kata seem more logical and makes it easier to remember

To the first bold type above...

The embusen for Pinan Yondan is unlike any you've encountered, thus so far. The introductions of transitional shifts and the like are also unlike any you've encountered, either, thus so far.

Therefore, the Bunkai, especially Oyo, opens up the flood gates of effective possibilities, that's for sure.

To the second bold type above...

Without the Bunkai, imho, Kata is merely a dance. As far as the Kihon, well, imho, they stand seperate and away from the Kata; Kihon speaks for itself, and truly don't rely on the Kata, like the Kata depends on the Kihon. It's the Bunkai that marries the two together, Kihon and Kata, and can't be divorced from the Bunkai, however, and once again, the Kihon doesn't need Kata.

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
The embusen for Pinan Yondan is unlike any you've encountered, thus so far. The introductions of transitional shifts and the like are also unlike any you've encountered, either, thus so far.
Without the Bunkai, imho, Kata is merely a dance. As far as the Kihon, well, imho, they stand seperate and away from the Kata; Kihon speaks for itself, and truly don't rely on the Kata, like the Kata depends on the Kihon. It's the Bunkai that marries the two together, Kihon and Kata, and can't be divorced from the Bunkai, however, and once again, the Kihon doesn't need Kata.

Looking forward to learning those "transitional shifts"

I agree about the bunkai and the view of kihon as "building blocks" separate from the continuous flow and logic of a kata

Not a day without a kata

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not many people attending yesterday's club session

Lead to me and another green belt receiving instruction on our own from CI. Among other things we went through Gekisaida ichi - now I know which differences has been made and will start adding it to my solo sessions. I really like the flow of the kick-elbow-combinations

Some notes to self from last night:

- Second arm motion in Pinan is much smaller, only the lower arm is used
- Hand open protecting the side in kosa dachi in Pinan Yondan
- Feet together after "pulling together to the side" in Pinan Yondan

Not a day without a kata

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No club training yesterday...

...because the lock to the hall we use as club dojo had been broken, so we couldn't get inside. The entire club met outside, eager to train, but had to go home again. Sigh...

Not a day without a kata

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every dojo needs those down days, even if they're caused by outside forces. Well, there's practice at home.

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there sure is. Problem is I get a lot of home practice, but not half as much of the more intense - and often in pairs - club training as I would like. Anyway, tonight it's time for solo practice at home again - perhaps with toddlers climbing on top while doing crunches.

My 3-year actually participated the other day, wearing my old white belt wrapped 3 times around her before it was tied

Not a day without a kata
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 9 of 25
Jump to: