Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:34 am    Post subject: Weapon Draw Defense Reply with quote

As martial artists, I would like to think that we have the control and composure to walk away from unnecessary confrontation. That said, sometimes you can find yourself drawn into an argument, and sometimes those can get very heated. In this week's Waza Wednesday video, we look at when one of these heated arguments becomes a physical confrontation, with the possibility of a weapon becoming involved. Bear in mind that, of course, leaving the situation is going to be the best course of action for self defense. This is primarily looking at what to do if you don't have that option, for whatever reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fShZOnTPQ3o
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid tutorial, Noah; thanks for sharing!!

The one thing I'd add to what your Sensei is teaching is this...

Controlling that suspect arm is paramount. In addition, and only if possible, retrieve the weapon from your attacker. Why? Worse thing is to do everything to control the attacker to only use said weapon on you while you're running to a safe haven.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw this. Its a good concept to train. That, along with learning to recognize bulges on the clothing that might tip you to the fact that a weapon could be concealed.

In our DT, we focus on the flip side of this, weapon retention, but there are a lot of similarities.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The video is a simple introduction to the idea of weapon self defence but it is very virtual compared to what happens in reality.

Weapon self defence for most martial artists is the their weakest area of expertise.

There are right ways to do things and wrong ways to do things, weapon defence strategies cannot allow any wrong ways, in the slightest.

If you consider most martial art self defence techniques are virtual and not reality based you might stand a chance in surviving a weapon attack.

I cannot write the right way for you, or post a YouTube link for you to watch, you need to know that most weapon self defense techniques don't work.

To always consider (be aware) that in any street confrontation a weapon will be used against you! Your self-defense must treat the attacker as if he/her is armed.

To understand that you are inadequate to deal with weapon attacks unless you have specifically specialize in the subject for many years.

What if for example, just like in the video, you disarm the attacker's right arm holding a knife. Only to realize that he is also holding a knife in his left hand; what would you do then?

Have you noticed that many martial art weapons come in pairs; why is that?

Self defence techniques are usually practiced against an opponent holding one weapon, how much time have you practiced against an opponent threatening you with two weapons?

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think his goal here was to show a brief video with a concept to train. A good one, too. If someone suddenly reaches to their pocket, pinning that hand is a good step in stopping the deployment of the weapon.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People with knives don't usally carry them in their pocket, unless it is a small pocket knife.

Usally a knife will slips down in to the attacker's hand from the sleeve.

Also people that attack with knives don't advertise the fact that they are carrying a concealed weapon.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point is, though, that they have to carry it somewhere. So you train to intercept the movement to the weapon.

If you are going to carry a knife in the sleeve, then you always have to wear long sleeves. So, that's a clue.

Tactical folders fit very well in the pocket, as many have a clip that keeps it high and makes it easy to get to. Some even have a feature that deploys the blade upon the draw.

Guns can be carried in various parts of the waistband. Cross-draws or straight on the hip. Ankle holsters are popular, as well, but admittedly more obvious to get to. There is also the popular idea of wearing the gun in the small of the back. That one would be much trickier to defend, I think.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrying a knife in many parts of the world is legal and other places they are illegal.

Knife self defence sanerios will always be relative to the location, people and situation.

Awareness is the first line of defence regarding hostile environments or situations.

Practicing low key ineffective knife defence techniques is perpetuating a false sense of security.

Practicing with a simulated disturbed person swinging a knife would be more closer to reality than a sober and agreeable participated wearing a GI.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I say, the point is the concept. If someone is carrying a weapon, they will have to reach for it. You train to pin that hand, and retaliate. Wouldn't you agree?

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Practicing with a simulated disturbed person swinging a knife would be more closer to reality than a sober and agreeable participated wearing a GI.

I don't disagree with this, but only practicing your knife defense at the local tavern isn't an optimal training environment. Besides that, I don't really drink, so it would really shut down my training opportunities.

Training actual knife defenses to actual knife attacks is the best way to train knife defense. But again, I don't think that was the topic of the video.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This video is, indeed, intended to illustrate a training concept, not a holistic training experience--this is simply one component to consider in training. Typically, the scenario being addressed by this is a situation that (hopefully) martial artists won't find themselves in, as it generally derives from a "monkey dance" scenario of some sort. We have mostly seen this in road rage incidents, but it happens in other conflicts as well.

The idea here is to develop awareness--in live training, your partner won't always attack the same way, after all. This drill focuses on seeing the hand reaching for the hip or pocket, as a variety of weapons can be located there, and doing whatever you can to prevent that weapon from coming into play. This is just part of a larger defensive curriculum, which does include high-pressure attacks with training weapons, and a wide variety of scenarios, on top of an unarmed curriculum. We simply can't cover everything in a 3 minute video
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: