Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

The Pred
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Weapon Quality Reply with quote

I've been doing martial arts for quite a while now. Has anyone else noticed or perhaps it's just me that weapon quality has been going down compared to say even 15 years ago.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's just weapon quality. Overall quality of just about any consumer product (granted, there are some exceptions) has diminished significantly over the years.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too, have noticed that. Seems to me that flash is replacing solidification within today's weapon production. It's become the rage of the page, and it appears that that's what generates the consumers interest.

The cheaper one can produce a product, the more profits; exciting the bottom line of any P&L over quality is increasing.

The Pred
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it is a real shame.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also has to do with what others are willing to pay for some weapon. I also believe it has to do with how it is used, and if it is a weapon that is relevant in today's society.

People aren't fighting each other with traditional MA weapons today. With that in mind, I'd guess that most manufacturers that make a sword, they aren't worried about it ever really hitting another sword, or a shield, or the shaft of a spear, or clanging off some armor. Its being used for display or for some aspect of demonstration that isn't going to be as demanding as, say, combat.

With that said, look at high quality knives and firearms that you can find. Sure, there are some cheaply made ones out there, but you can easily find high-quality knives if you are willing to shell out the money for them. Why? Because they still have real, popular uses, like hunting, and yes, self-defense/combat purposes in the military. Same with firearms.

That's my best guess, anyways.

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All part of the chase for the almighty dollar I'm afraid, but there are a few "custom" makers out there, every year less and less, people seem happy to buy cheap and nasty to save a few bucks. Me, not so much!

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple answer... it's what the public allows the makers of weapons to get away with. That and the fact that, as others have said, there is no reason to make a combat rated weapon that will never be used for that purpose.

However I have another theory. Make it just good enough to last for maybe 5 or so years and they will come back for a new one. Make one that lasts for only a year or less and falls apart, you've lost a customer for life. Make one that lasts forever and you have also lost a customer for life because there is no need to ever buy another one.

Make a weapon with only adequate durability that will last a reasonable time frame and you'll be selling to that same customer over their life time. Win win for the manufacturer.

Struggling_Mudansha
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, weapon quality has gone down significantly over the years. I think it's largely due to a severe lack of quantity of good product. Donald Shapland, a Canadian weapons maker, is getting up there in age and will probably retire soon. Peter Carbone is also getting out of the business and has no desire to pass his knowledge onto a protege. Gordon Shell of Murasaki Kobudo has recently removed kama from his website and I'm getting word through the grape vine that he's trying to ease his way out of the business. Lastly, Crane Mountain Kobudo has been gone for a good while now and there was no indication that the weapons maker was able to pass his knowledge onto someone else.

There are two makers that have emerged recently, Sundy Papapanos of Dreametal Kobudo and David Williams of Shushin Kobudo. However, Sensei Papapanos is the only one out of the two that makes metal weapons.

From my experience, finding quality weapons has been an absolute nightmare. Because of the severe lack of available makers, it's been almost impossible to find the weapons that I need.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Struggling_Mudansha wrote:
Yes, weapon quality has gone down significantly over the years. I think it's largely due to a severe lack of quantity of good product. Donald Shapland, a Canadian weapons maker, is getting up there in age and will probably retire soon. Peter Carbone is also getting out of the business and has no desire to pass his knowledge onto a protege. Gordon Shell of Murasaki Kobudo has recently removed kama from his website and I'm getting word through the grape vine that he's trying to ease his way out of the business. Lastly, Crane Mountain Kobudo has been gone for a good while now and there was no indication that the weapons maker was able to pass his knowledge onto someone else.

There are two makers that have emerged recently, Sundy Papapanos of Dreametal Kobudo and David Williams of Shushin Kobudo. However, Sensei Papapanos is the only one out of the two that makes metal weapons.

From my experience, finding quality weapons has been an absolute nightmare. Because of the severe lack of available makers, it's been almost impossible to find the weapons that I need.

Maybe when I decide to retire I'll sell my weapons and have an auction.

75% of the weapons I own are from when I was a kid and a teenager. I also bought weapons while in Okinawa as a younger man. All of which have lasted and stood up to the punishment. Something to be said for the way things were made as apposed to some of today's standards.

The rest I either buy from a few private manufacturer's or just make them myself.

I've tried a few from the big name manufacturers and have never been satisfied with the product. As someone else here said, they are not meant for actual combative use.

strangepair03
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorinji Ryu Karate-Do

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Shapland sensei in Canada also makes both wood and metal weapons. His tinbe are a thing of beauty. http://www.kobudogu.com/index.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: