Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

njc81 wrote:
Thats what i was led to believe Nidan Melbourne, thanks for the link. It's interesting to hear from other parts of the world as well. Nidan do you have a weapons licence?

No i don't have a weapons licence as I don't train in weapons with the exception of Balintawak Arnis (Sticks).

But I do plan on applying for one.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my area even a 8cm blade or blade-like object will get you arrested and probably jailed if found on your person. Firearms require a permit deliverable after a long application, training seminar and purpose justification process. They are very difficult to purchase and very few ordinary citizens have them. Carrying anything is just too risky and not worth the potential hassles as even loose tools such as a saw or screwdriver will be considered suspicious.

Knives are sometimes used, but it is usually types of common kitchen varieties and carrying any kind of weapon knife is very rare. With the strict weapon laws here it is more sensible to grab something nearby than carrying something.

CDraper
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Isshin Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. So many different restrictions. I think the best thing anyone can do is when traveling is to do a quick check of the laws to make sure you stay on the right side of things. Rather or not you are going state to state in the United States or country to country.
CD

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a rule I would never take anything weapon-like when traveling, especially abroad, as I have spent most of my adult life living away from my original home.

When the risks of air travel increased to higher levels I started to look at inconspicuous objects that could be used as defensive weapons that are allowed on board and found there. Pens, pencils, earphones in flight eating utensils(metal on some airlines!). If it's allowed on a plane there is a good chance it is not restricted or illegal to carry almost anywhere. Still the best id a is not to have anything on ones person.

Shotokannon
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Shotokan, Traditional Jujutsu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the UK, nobody (Even Law Enforcement) can carry an automatic firearm under any circumstances whatsoever (unless you're in the armed response unit, or armed services),shotguns and rifles you'd need a license for, and they won't give you one unless you can provide a solid reason for needing one (Pest control on farms for example, or you're a member of a shooting club), Knives over 3 inches you can be arrested for just having on your person in public and this carries a max 6 month imprisonment and £1000 fine, any weapon (even a shoe) can be considered an offensive weapon, and is subject to the same penalties.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shotokannon wrote:
In the UK, nobody (Even Law Enforcement) can carry an automatic firearm under any circumstances whatsoever (unless you're in the armed response unit, or armed services),shotguns and rifles you'd need a license for, and they won't give you one unless you can provide a solid reason for needing one (Pest control on farms for example, or you're a member of a shooting club), Knives over 3 inches you can be arrested for just having on your person in public and this carries a max 6 month imprisonment and £1000 fine, any weapon (even a shoe) can be considered an offensive weapon, and is subject to the same penalties.

For the UK, see here for a good overview:
http://www.police.uk/crime-prevention-advice/possession-of-weapons/

We have shotguns in the house and the guidelines for keeping them issued by our local police are quite stringent. There are standards on the type and location of your gun safe (which guns must be kept in) and on how and when you transport them and every so often we have a mandatory checks from the police firearms officer.

chiliphil1
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very fortunate when it comes to this topic. I llive in GA in the US and i have very few restrictions at all. I hold a Georgia weapons license (gun permit) which allows me to not only own but carry pretty much any weapon I choose, the license covers all blades over 5" as well as all firearms. The only restrictions we have are the federal restrictions on automatic weapons, we can own them but there is a lenghty background check involved.

As far as MA weapons go I can own anything here from sswords, stars, chucks, etc.. I can order them online and have them mailed right to me!

8th Kyu
Matsubayashi ryu shorin ryu karate

RW
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's funny many states freak out over a nunchuku but are ok with guns

Titanium
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Wado-Kai & Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UK is strict regarding potential weapons.
It's always safe not to carry weapons, however saying that, I am an engineer and I always forget to take my Stanley knife out of my pocket.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am fortunate to live in Maine, except for the winters. No Concealed Permit needed, open carry as desired (except for a few areas). The only restrictions we have are Federal. I keep a .45 in my vehicle.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: