Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

njc81
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Ryusyukai Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Weapons and your local laws Reply with quote

Hi guys i dont know if this is a thread that has been covered before but im curious to know of not only the laws in Victoria, Australia but in different parts of the world. We do have rather strict laws around sai's and nunchucks were you need to be a licenced weapons holder to own them or so im led to believe. If anyone knows different let me know.

Thanks

CDraper
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Isshin Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reporting from the state of North Carolina in the United States - I don't think there are any laws regarding those types of weapons other than not having them concealed. In this state we also have full open carry of firearms permitted (minus schools, government buildings etc) and concealed carry of pistols with a permit. Laws by state and local municipalities can vary.
CD

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum njc81!

Here in Victoria we have strict laws regarding all weapons. And requires permission from the police commissioner to own or import.

http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.asp?Document_ID=110

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Zealand here.
No licensing or paperwork at all.
I just bought a pair of Sai on the internet last month, arrived at my doorstep in 2 days.

njc81
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what i was led to believe Nidan Melbourne, thanks for the link. It's interesting to hear from other parts of the world as well. Nidan do you have a weapons licence?

Spodo Komodo
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Wado Ryu, Shotokan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over here you can have sai and nunchaku without a license, you just can't carry them in public without good reason. I can practise with any martial arts weapon I like in private but the minute you set foot outside your property you need a reason to carry even a screwdriver in public. It always made me laugh (inwardly, I don't want no trouble!) that the Police confiscated straight razors, stanley knives and the like from youths at the bus station while I sat there with a razor sharp shinken by my side. I occasionally had to show my BKA license to prove I was a bona fide martial artist and always avoided travelling during football matches but on the whole I had no trouble. These days I only ever carry small weapons in a padlocked bag at the bottom of my kitbag so I never even get stopped.

AlbanyDude
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in New York nothing is legal to carry, unless you have a concealed pistol permit. There is no specification on the length of a knife you can carry, so any knife, and anything else you mentioned, is illegal for carry here.

njc81
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

few good replies here, the contrasts in laws between US states as well. is there anymore Australians out there from across the other states?

Karate_John
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu, Judo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlbanyDude wrote:
Here in New York nothing is legal to carry, unless you have a concealed pistol permit. There is no specification on the length of a knife you can carry, so any knife, and anything else you mentioned, is illegal for carry here.

Believe it or not that's not true. In NYS It is in fact legal to own Hunting knifes, Daggers, Stilettos, Pocket knifes, and Multi tools. and carry them in the open or concealed. However it gets messy as intent is the legal decider. It's the presumption that if a knife is in your possession and you are stopped, you intend to use it to harm someone else. So don't open carry. (you can fight it in court, but not worth it) Switchblades, and gravity knifes you need a hunting license for.

Within NYC, A knifes blade needs to be less then 4", and it must be concealed. and Again intent is the legal decider. It's the presumption that if a knife is in your possession and you are stopped, you intend to use it to harm someone else.

So while it is "legal", don't carry unless you have a reason, or know the right people. "Self defense" while legal will most likely give you a court date.

knifeup.com has a good article on NYS knife laws.

AlbanyDude
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In NYS there is no legal definition of what constitutes a "dangerous knife". If I could be arrested for it, I assume it's illegal to carry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: