Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

albeaver
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Weapons Kata Reply with quote

Is it a fuax pas to have your weapons 'clinck' with each other. Like sai, kama, or what ever. My girlfriend says it is, but I see a lot of people, whom are high ranking people, do it on Youtube.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to KF; glad that you're here!!

I believe that the clinking together, as you describe, is normal, therefore not intentional. That's what happens when items made of similar materials come into contact with one another.

It's not embarrassing, imho, when your weapons clink together!! Imho, what's embarrassing, and dangerous, is when one can't control their weapon(s)!

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In tournaments it is considered a point deduction if the person rattles the weapons excessively or on purpose; fumbles or drops the weapon or allows it to touch the floor.

In general, weapons should be wielded smoothly without any sort of entangling or rattling. Basically it is anything that might be a flaw or an opening which a real enemy would exploit. The same principle applies to empty hand kata. Weapons are no different because they are meant as extensions of limbs, not just accessories

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really a kobudo guy but, as I understand it, your weapons should not clink together for no reason. With the sai, for example, there are trapping techniques where you interlock the sai. In that instance, they would clink together.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't misunderstand me. The weapons shouldn't clink, but until I become perfect, I might rarely have it happen to me from time to time. It's not the end of the world and mistakes are just that...mistakes...accidents...no matter how long one's been on the floor!! We were never crucified when it happened to us by Soke and/or Dai-Soke, although we were told to not let it happen "ON PURPOSE", unless it's part of the technique and/or Kata, and yes, we're suppose to master and control any and all Kobudo weapons!! YES!! But, things happen and the world won't end!!

Whenever I judge, I don't really take any deductions if their weapon clinks. However, drop the weapon, major deductions. The greatest sin, imho, between the two...clink or drop...dropping is the greatest of the two sins.

Imho!!

armanox
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu, Hapkido, Aikido

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean exactly by clinking? Do you mean intentional weapons contact, or accidental? See video below - the first 'clink' is intentional - the sai are supposed to hit each other in the opening. The next two are minor, and not intended, but not wrong per se.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMDINV_b_ZY&t=27
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: