Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Drunken_Apprentice
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: aikido, diplomacy, not being there

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:41 pm    Post subject: Well rounded self defense Reply with quote

Hello all - I'm a new guy so if this isn't the right forum, let me know. I've been training in aikido for the last 5 years and have my 3rd kyu. My sensei teaches it with a focus on self defense (which is the primary reason I'm there), so I can see its pracitcality in terms of balance, centering, projection, etc. However, I have a few concerns:

Atemi training - O Sensei apparently said that (90?)% of aikido is atemi, yet we don't focus on the striking aspect in class. Many people come into the dojo with prior striking art experience, but this is my only art.

Ground competency - Aikido is primarily standing / kneeling "grappling" type work, but we've never focused on what to do if we get taken to the ground. I certainly don't want to focus any fight there because of the possibility of multiple attackers and unknown terrain, but I sure would like an idea of how to handle myself there if the need arises!

The reason why I'm posting here and not in the aikido forum is because I'd like to round out my focus in terms of effective self defense and need some advice in how to do that. I'm considering taking Wing Chun to get a good base in striking / blocking / entering / contact sensitivity. All good.

But what about ground work? Should I stick with aikido or go to something like Small Circle Jujitsu (because of its connection with aikido and WC) or BJJ? Combat hapkido? I like aikido's focus on multiple attackers and throwing / locking from a standing position, but I would like to get some thoughts on what people feel would be generically effective.

Thanks for everything!

Kyle-san
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you wanted to keep something along a similar vein but still get that striking and ground work that's missing you might want to try and find an Aiki Jujutsu dojo. It'll definately help in those areas.

If you're looking for something different, I'd suggest finding a good (emphasis on good) Shotokan dojo for the striking, but that still leaves you stuck for grappling.

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, wellcome to the forums..
Take Wing chun if you like. but for striking I always advice people to look into the good ol Western Boxing, the art of hit without getting hit, what else do you need? lol that or Thai Boxing, the art of 8 limbs.
Now for groung fighting, Look for BJJ mainly, or Submission Wrestling, Judo, Sambo, etc...Those arts have devasting submission holds and ground techniques.

ramymensa
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't be more simple to just talk to your sensei? You've been there for 5 years ... you could ask him to incorporate some new techniques ... he should know something more than simple aikido, if not go to some other dojos to complement your training. Perhaps judo

Drunken_Apprentice
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 12:11 pm    Post subject: Something to think about Reply with quote

Kyle-san, SubmissionFighter, thank you. Aiki jujitsu sounds like a good idea to get the things I need, though I don't know if there are enough dojos around to find one easily. What are your opinions of hapkido / combat hapkido? My understanding is that the former at least is a sibling (or cousin) to aikido because both modern founders had similar backgrounds, if not the same instructor. BJJ is also something to consider because of its obvious focus on superior ground technique, though I need to get more info to see how it handles multiple opponents, standing throws, pins, etc. That's the part I like about aikido!

My preference to WC is out of personal interest, I think. In other words, it sounds like fun! I've heard good things about Muay Thai and its strength as a striking style, especially against grapping techniques. I would like to be able to train and practice whatever arts I choose for a long time without worrying about being able to walk when I'm 50, though. Some arts train a bit harder than others, and I'm 30 now. Are there any other considerations I would need to make with this in mind?

Kyle-san
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found Hapkido/Combat Hapkido to be quite well rounded systems that should work just fine for you, but I'm not sure how they'd compare with the others that I mentioned (and have personal experience with). They're far from bad choices, though. I've found BJJ to be excellent with one oppontent, but weak with multiple attackers. That's just me though, there are others on this board that will tell you differently.

As for WC, it's an excellent striking system if you can find a good teacher (as with any martial art). Plus, if it's one of personal interest to you that makes it much better. In terms of your age, Muay Thai would probably have more negative effects than positive in the long run. Not to say that you couldn't do it, just that it might get less effective quicker.

PhilM1
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: shorin ryu, BJJ, kickboxing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you would like to be an all around great fighter with lots of skills I think it would be best to learn brazillian jiu jitsu,judo,a style of karate and muay thai kickboxing. you would school everyone

jiu-jitsu fighter
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: praying mantis, ninjutsu, BJJ,Blauer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn right philm , he would take them to school

Drunken_Apprentice
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:51 pm    Post subject: Wow. Reply with quote

I don't think I have the time for that many arts, as much as I'd like to study them all! If I did go to WC for striking and BJJ from aikido for grappling, what elements would I be missing?

Or would that just be a sweet combination?

H@pkid0ist
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: 2nd Dan Hapkido, Wing Chun, American style Boxing & wrestling, Karate, Monkey KF, Muai Thai, Ju Jitsu.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing Hapkido for 4 years now. I have been studying the MA for 23 and I have been happiest in Hapkido. It covers all areas of combat extensivly. If you decided to change to one system only then Hapkido can do it for you. It is quite a bit more agressive than Aikido though. If you want to keep studieing Aikido and try just one thing along with it then I would go with Aiki Jiujitsu. If that isn't an optin then Muai Thai or Wing chun would be good. You can learn the techniques of MT in a relativly short time, but it would be up to you to hone them. Same goes with Wing Chun, but not as short a time as MT. After that I would look at a ground system. For now if you go to the ground keep in mind the joint manipulation techniques. Many of them work just as well as they do standing up. Just make the circles smaller and don't excude the elbow strikes. Just remember this. When going to the ground, don't try and make them let go. Give them a reason to want to let go. This works pretty good standing up. If there is anything else I can help you with just Holler. Good luck.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: