Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

MA Woman
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo/Kenpo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject: West Denver Area? Adult classes starting around 7 PM, 3 days Reply with quote

Is there a good school in the central west Denver area, with adult classes around 7 PM on two nights a week, and a late Saturday morning class? Like 3 hours a week?

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t know Denver’s geography nor anything about getting around the city. But if I were in Denver, there’s one dojo I’d absolutely have to visit - Enshin Karate’s honbu dojo.

Enshin is an offshoot of Kyokushin karate with elements of judo. Think knockdown karate with clinching and throwing mixed in. Their concept of tai sabaki (body movement) focuses on circular movement to get to the opponent’s “blind spot.”

I have a man crush on Joko Ninomiya (founder and head instructor) and his system. I make no two ways about it. Everything they do appeals to me. Unfortunately there’s no Enshin anywhere near me, so I’ve only seen video, read books, etc. Ninomiya is an absolute legend in the world of Kyokushin and knockdown karate.

Even if you’re not interested in karate, his dojo is a must visit IMO. What you see them doing may change your mind.

http://enshin.enshinacademy.com

The website isn’t the best I’ve ever seen, but don’t judge them on that.

MA Woman
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo/Kenpo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks KF but it's out east and I'm stretched thin as it is. Sounds great though.

aurik
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Shuri-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I train Uechi-Ryu at Bennett's Karate in Erie. He has evening classes on M/Tu/Th from 7-8:30. He also has a friday evening sparring class, and a saturday morning sparring class from 10-11 (but the Saturday morning class is mostly kids with a few adults showing up).

He also runs classes out of the Hyland Hills MAC (in Westminister). They are generally taught by one of his students (3rd dan), and run two nights a week plus saturday mornings.

If neither of these work, there is the Iwa Dojo in Broomfield that teaches Goju-Ryu and Matayoshi Kobudo. My sensei trains kobudo through them.

I hope this helps!

Chunmonchek
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Goju

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how close or far these are, but I've had the opportunity to train with both of these Sensei and can vouch for their knowledge and quality of instruction:

http://co.shobukan.org/index.html

http://www.shinyokai.com/

Please note that neither are what most would consider "mainstream" martial arts...but with respect to these guys, I think that's a big plus...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: