Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JerryLove
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To ansewer the original question: I can't tell you what you *should* take on that little information. Yes, Muay Thai should accomplish your goal of "fighting better". "Defending yourself" is rather relative, so I cannot advise weather it will help.

SUKU
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Krav Maga, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALSO I FORGOT KRAV MAGA..

SIMPLY AWESOME......

cowman2003
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: muay tai, jeet kune do, filipino martial arts

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as a muay tai practitioner i would definetly suggest this fighting style. You will experience a quick change in fighting ability and over time can become an amazing fighter against most other styles. I would also recomend a program with muay tai compensated by a ground style like brazilian jiu-jitsu.

Dim Sum
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Wing Chun San Shou Jeet Kune Do

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what arts are there in your area is what you first need to know, but if theres muay thai, i take that

TJS
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: boxing, Thai boxing, BJJ,

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radok wrote:
muay tai has a faster pay off, so a muay tai practitioner of 6 months would beat a Karate practitioner of 6 months, but after that time in Karate you've learned the basic stances, blocks, and attacks so you start working on stuff like arm bars and hip throws and things, so a Karate practitioner of 2 years would have a big advantage over a muay tai practitioner of 2 years, because Karate is a more complete art. So it depends on if you need the art for a short term or long term basis. If you have the time and dedication I would say and Okinawan Karate would be the best style for self-defence. (see sig.)

I would put my money on the MT fighter vs a karate practitioner whether they had been training 2 weeks, 2 years or 20 years...everything else being equal

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Red J.....it's not so much the style of martial arts in itself, but how much you train and how well that martial art fits you.

Training in the martial arts puts you in a physical situation that challenges your body and mind. It helps you to maintain an air of calmness and deliberateness in the middle of caos. A real self-defense situation is very different from martial art training. There is an old army saying "Five minutes of real combat is worth months of basic training" .... , nothing can prepare you completely for a real self-defense situation but martial art training will prepare you compared to someone who has had no training at all.
Whether you decide to train in judo, karate, aikido, tae kwon do muay thai etc..... , you need to train long enough so that your reflexes and your response is quickand simple.
If you plan on taking a martial art purely as a means of self-defense, then you should focus on the basics so that you can react quickly without hesitation.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: