Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

whess
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: What are our jobs as martial artist? Reply with quote

As a long time student of martial arts I often wish my friends and other close to me would practice any form of self defense. I worry that they might not be able to defend themselves if need be. I know you cannot force someone to start a practice but I try to encourage them to be fit and aware of their surroundings. Is it my role to try and get another person to start training? Even though they I know they must have that innate desire, or arrive on that thought to begin themselves.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct in that you cannot force someone to learn. Students are the same way-you can only guide them until they reach their own conclusions and decide what level of commitment they are willing to set. The best thing we can do is to be a great example and truly live what we "preach"-stay fit, eat right, and train.

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think its an instructor's job to try to recruit everyone into learning self-defense. Its not a bad marketing ploy, though, and there is nothing wrong with trying to convince others of the value of a knowledge of self-defense. Some people would like to train anyone and everyone. Some only want to train those who want to train. Either is ok.

MaxMarks
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kempo/JuJitsu/Grapling/Kick Boxing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's a martial artists job to recruit. I think you bring your friends into it like you would anything else you're passionate about. If the time is right it will all work. If not you don't want to drive them away by forcing something on them. Think of it like randorie in Judo, you don't just force a throw at will, you wait until your opponent shifts their weight in a way that allows for the throw... timing right?

Also, absent of a horrible situation, self defense typically isn't a compelling enough reason to dedicate yourself to the martial arts. Making them aware of all the other ways training benefits your life will be much more compelling. (which is the premise of my blog)

Two things are clear, you love the martial arts and you love your friends. The best way to lead is by example, which is exactly what you're doing. Keep it up!
The mission of my blog is to explore the connection between the skills learned in the dojo as a student of the martial arts and the skills that lead to a successful life. www.lifeskillsfromthedojo.com
www.facebook.com/lifeskillsfromthedojo

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I do think our jobs as MAists is to make sure we aren't advertising something we aren't selling. Not every school is selling self-defense, although it does appear in most school's itinerary. Teaching forms is not necessarily teaching self-defense. Its important that we as instructors are honest and upfront about what we actually cover in our classes, and what is not.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm constantly reminding my students, the hierarchy of our Hombu, and the students of our Hombu that their sole job as a martial artist is tend to their own martial art betterment. Worry not about what another martial artist is doing before you set your path straight first.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
I'm constantly reminding my students the hierarchy of our Hombu and the students of our Hombu that their sole job as a martial artist is tend to their own martial art betterment. Worry not about what another martial artist is doing before you set your path straight first.

I agree with this 100% As martial artists we need to focus on our own journey and not whether or not anyone else is on a similar journey. Also when you're constantly telling your friends that they need to start doing self-defense they tend to be so sick of you pushing them to it that any desire that they would have had tends to go out because they get the view that every martial artist will constantly pressure them into situations that they don't want to be in.

So as a martial artist the job in my mind that I need to fulfill is to practice everyday so that I can constantly get better at the thing that I love to do.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Kodakmint
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: American Freestyle Karate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't tell anyone I do martial arts.

FangPwnsAll7
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't really force someone to take martial arts. I sometimes want half of my friends to take it to. Doesn't mean they will though. I let them decide on their own though. If they don't want to learn self defense, then they don't have to.

SonGoku92
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Goju kenpo, Ninjutsu, Kenjutsu (self taught)

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me. Even If I cant get them to start practicing a martial art, most people find it nice to know a technique or three for future reference. so assuming you have the belt rank in your system to prove you know the techniques your showing you could always do that. most people aren't opposed to that. (thats just the rule on student teaching in my system though idk about others?...)
"I am the hope of the universe! I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace,I am protector of the innocent, I am the light in the darkness, I am truth... Ally to good! nightmare to you!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: