Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

anto
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:18 am    Post subject: What are the advantages of expensive Gi? Reply with quote

I have just bought this Gi as I thought I need a comfortable Gi for hot summer. I bought it only for about 32 EUR with free shipping.

Even though I have chosen the smaller size (rounded down of my height), the length of the trousers and sleeves are still a bit too long for me as they are still a bit covering my wrists and ankles. I like them maximum 2 cm above my wrists and ankles.

So I kept washing it with higher and higher temperatures than the recommended in step of 40, 60 and 95 degree Celsius. I also tumble dried it on each step. I even washed it twice in 95 degree Celsius. But it only shrunk about a few millimetre. The good thing is that, it became shiny white and I think it does not feel like the light 8 oz Gi anymore, so I like it.

Now I am wondering, what are the advantages of the expensive Gi (above 200 EUR Gi from Shureido, Tokaido, Seishin, etc.), a part from perhaps the prestige in wearing it?

Expensive Gi requires extra care. I think we cannot wash it very often so we cannot have it shiny white like the cheap Gi that I just bought. And I definitely cannot afford to buy multiple of them, so I can wash them less often. And I think I will not be comfortable to wear them in a hot summer, as they are mostly heavy (14 oz or above).

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is usually for the quality of material and how long they will last. As they should resist wear & tear easily, along with being thrown a lot.

I own a Seishin Gi and has worked really well, although i don't wear it on 30+ Degree [Celcius] Days.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more expensive gi, as Nidan Melbourne mentions, generally use higher quality material that will last longer. They often also have more reinforcement in areas that take a lot of strain and wear during training. Of course, part of the price is also paying for the prestige of the brand.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear a Shureido K-11 because it's comfortable...

It fits me right, the material breathes better than any other gi I've worn, it holds its shape better, and it's softer.

As an added bonus, it stays whiter longer than any other gi I've owned. It doesn't turn yellow and gray like cheaper gis do.

I don't care about any prestige with wearing it. If my dojo made us remove manufacturer labels, I wouldn't care one bit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: