Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

GoldDragon
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2001 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We would all like to be naturally limber. We would all like to be able to be able to kick as high as possible without the tedious stretching, but the human body is not designed that way. The human muscle structure is comprised of muscle, ligaments, and tendons. These muscles, ligaments, and tendons have a natural length to them. Some people have a muscle structure that is long and allows them full range of motion without much work. Others of us must work harder to achieve full range of motion.

Although the muscle structure may not allow full range of motion in the natural state, with some work they can be “stretched” to allow full range of motion. This stretching must be done not just to allow high kicks, but also to prevent injury.

Prior to any stretching the Martial Artist must “warm up”. I prefer to do forms or jump rope prior to stretching. This way I stay sharp on my forms and keep my stamina up, and the “warm up” increases the blood flow to the muscles. The muscles are comprised mostly of water. This fluid composition is what gives the muscles their elasticity. We have all noticed at one time or another, how “stiff” we are when we stretch “cold”. Stretching a cold muscle is like pulling on a spaghetti noodle. The noodle will only stretch so far before it tears. Stretching a warm muscle is more like stretching a rubber band. The rubber band will stretch further before tearing.

Once you have stretched for a while you will notice it is easier to kick higher. Your technique will be better due to the increased range of motion. To maintain this new range of motion you must continue to stretch on a daily basis. The muscles will “remember” their original length and they will return to that length if you do not stretch.

To stretch properly remember to warm up first. Do whatever stretches you feel comfortable with, in order to keep yourself from “dreading” stretching. Assume the stretch position and hold it for a minimum of 10 seconds up to one minute. Any longer and the blood flow slowly becomes restricted. Do not bounce in your stretch. This is called ballistic stretching and is very dangerous. Ballistic stretching is just like the earlier example of pulling on a spaghetti noodle pull too hard, too fast and something will tear. And remember to breathe while in the stretch. The muscles need oxygen.

Last but not least don’t get discouraged because you may not be able to do a “split” yet. You don’t need to be able to do a “split” to kick to the head. Trust me, I can’t do a “split” and I have no problem kicking at head level. So keep stretching and eventually you will achieve the “split” that we all want to do.

Represenitive for Paltalk.com
*-*-*-*-Mouser (Palhelp)*-*-*-*-*-

[CT]pizzaboy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: blue-belt taekwondo/green belt Yoshukai

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2001 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, ya'll. I can kick high with momentum behind the kick.My subinim,who is six feet, can perform a roundhouse kick to face-level in sloooowww motion. Every time I try that, I'm thinking,"My hip.Cramp...must stop...but I have to...AHHHH!"

I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversations.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2001 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey GoldDragon...I think that is exactly wht I posted in Flexibility Determination....re: the spaghetti theory. I see you have heard about it too....or did you reread my post?
Anyway, all good advice...although does jumping rope get the body warm? Sure but will it prevent a you from tearing your trapezius when you throw a hook or uppercut or pulling a hamstring when doing a roundhouse to the head? Nope. As with any exercise, the appropriate warm of for whatever activity you are going to be doing, is that same activity in a slower and more controlled manner.
Its all in the pelvis/hips to be able to get that stretch...and all in the head!

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2001-11-16 08:01 ]

[CT]pizzaboy
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2001 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to be rude sensei, but you should type with both of your eyes open next time. lol. I couldn't understand what you wrote... mist try to get estra slep or... see wat happens...I think I sould hav started streching when I was abot two.

ZR440
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Filipino

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently had to go to the chiropractor for a lower back problem and since then I have noticeably increased the height of my kicks. The explanation behind this newfound energy is that a misalignment of the vertabre can scramble the signals that the brain wants to send to the legs. I was afraid the doctor would place me on injured reserve for a while, but he said to keep on going to KSW. Unfortunately, he said I need to start working on my little beer gut in order to keep the spine aligned.
So now I have switched to Molson Canadian Light! Ha!

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah....'light' beer ...better than 'NO' beer ...
... yes, it's quite true that working on the ab section (tightening up those abs and obliques too)... stabilizes your core muscles and does in turn relieve back problems.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot more emphasis starting to be placed on working on the "core muscle group". It is all to easy to work the abs without ever giving thought to the opposing muscles in the lower back. I myself am all too guilty of doing situps on my thera-ball without then flipping over and doing back extensions to balance them out.

ZR440
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Filipino

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2001 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The abdominal exercises that the chiropractor suggested was in addition to some hamstring and gluteus strengthening, due to the fact that they attach to the lower back.

No light beer for turkey day. I need the real stuff to watch my beloved Lions play ball.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2001 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did forget one useful stretch that is very useful for inner thigh stretchin. Now, this may sound a bit silly.

Get close to a wall. Skooch up to the wall while laying on your back. You want to be perpindicular to the wall with your rear right up against it and your head away. Now to the splits (as close as you can). Gravity will give you an assisst you would not believe possible.

This is an old stretch that has also been taught by physical therapists for years.

[CT]pizzaboy
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2001 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So lean against a wall with one's back, while performing a split. Is the wall suppose to support the back?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: