Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

[CT]pizzaboy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: blue-belt taekwondo/green belt Yoshukai

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2001 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the best stretches to increase flexibility? At the dojang, we have a stretching matching that all the students can use. They are great, but I can't afford one. I see my subinim performing splits with ease. How long did it take you to perform the splits?

kicker
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: kickboxing, muay thai, tennis, lots more.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2001 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will first doing 3 minutes splits and front on both sides bending your head to your knees lots of streches but i don`t know what there call most of them are the ones for your legs try to think of ones and that aren`t bad!!

will it depends how long do the splits in depends if you strench everyday and you go down!!

taezee
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2001 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strecthing ..one of the most important part of your warm up routine..unfortunately it may only be done in the first ten to fifteen minutes of an average class....much longer is required to get a "benificial" strecth especially when you are a beginer ....as you become more flexible you would require less time ..its good to start your streching early before class ..if you can get to class a half hour before and start then..you will feel a big difference in your performance....there are many types of strecthes rather than going through the tedious task of naming them and trying to explain them i would recomend getting a book on strecthing..and also asking your sahbumnim about different streches...do them slowly and hold but dont bounce....and be patient it sometimes takes months or even years to start doing splits....slowly and patiently you will feel and see the results..good luck..

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2001 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much it takes? that depends on the persons and the kind of exercises performed...
I suggest to ask for advices to Kickchick on the Fitness forum.
She's a fitness expert AND taekwondo black belt, and im sure she'll help you a lot.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2001 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can do full splits and it took me a couple of years. The last couple of inches were the hard ones. Basically just work consistently. Sit down and go as far as you can, then gently lean forward. Some people go down and up in after about 30 seconds or so. I find it helpful once a week to stretch out in front of the tv and hold my stretch 10-15 minutes.

You should not stretch hard every day. The muscle fibers need a chance to recover. Another traditional way to help warmup while stretching for the splits is to percuss the insides of your thighs with your fists or the sides of your hands.

In some really hard core college clubs in the past a student would be helped along the way to full splits by someone behind him pushing -forcing - him all the way down. OUCH. Yes it tore the muscles. Not all tradition makes sense.

But hey, go ask Kickchick she can come up with really wonderfull technical information.

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2001 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went out early and bought one of those machines, and it did help to a certain point. But, I have been told that I may never be able to do full splits. Some of us from certain Western Eurpean decent have a larger knob at the top of our femur (thigh) bone that will not allow our joint to move that far. Fortunately, I am on the taller side (6'1") so I don't need a full split to get a kick up to most apponents heads (if I ever decided to kick that high).

As important as the stretch (for higher kicks), you need to develop the muscles to pull your leg up for a high kick. Without well developed inner and outer thigh muscles, you will be very flexible, but still unable to get your leg to kick high. Personally, I don't like kicking high very often. I'm too vulnerable.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2001 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry [CT]pizzaboy (...and SubmissionFighter) I just now read this post...
You might want to refer to what I posted in "Flexibility Determination"...re: high kicking stretches. I agree also as to what SaiFightsMS posted. I'm always stretching as I watch TV....try this though!!!
Put a big BIG bowl of say...popcorn between your legs and keeping your hands tucked under each leg (fingers ponting away from leg) under ankle bone. Using just your hips and abs tight...stretch forward and munch away!! ... Actually you can use anything really...ice cream tends to be a bit messy...but fun to watch!!
As each forward motion becomes easier...move the bowl forward and increase the stretch. I have people in class that think the point of the V-stretch is to get your forehead to the ground in front of you. NO...think of having a string attached to your navel and that string is attached to the floor directly in front of you....and someone is tugging at that string from down below....with each tug stretch it forward to bring that navel/hips to the floor.!

<

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2001-11-07 08:00 ]

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2001 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes; these are all good suggestions and advise...
i can only add that you take your time (patience) and never stop trying to reach your goal.........flexibility is one of the first things to go when you stop........

i am always working on my flexibility in my daily life such as watching t.v, and riding in elevators alone...it has saved me from pulling muscles when walking on wet floors and slipping in to the splits by accident.

patience and flexibilty is the key to being injury free and to life.

just rushman's humble opinion...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2001 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone developes their favorite stretching techniques. We are all built differently with varying amounts of natural flexibility.

Try reading different books on stretching and try different techniques. The Whartons Stretch Bood is an interesting book. They approach stretching from a different point of view of many.

Actually I achieved full splits in a manner similar to KickChick except I never placed a bowl of popcorn in front of myself. I have stretched out with a bood though.

[CT]pizzaboy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: blue-belt taekwondo/green belt Yoshukai

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2001 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. yall...
Huh!!!War what is it good for,
absolutely nothing,nothing,
Huh!!Good god yall... undefined

I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversations.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: