Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Jetrail
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan karate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: What are the differences between Kanzen Ryu and Shotokan Reply with quote

Hi. I was just wondering the difference between Kanzen Ryu and Shotokan karate. It looks like Kanzen Ryu uses a blend of different kats etc. I was wondering if anyone has trained in either one and if so your thoughts etc. Thanks in advance

P.A.L
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin-ryu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: What are the differences between Kanzen Ryu and Shotokan Reply with quote

Jetrail wrote:
Hi. I was just wondering the difference between Kanzen Ryu and Shotokan karate. It looks like Kanzen Ryu uses a blend of different kats etc. I was wondering if anyone has trained in either one and if so your thoughts etc. Thanks in advance

Kanzen ryu is a hybrid system mostly based on shotokan and shorinji kemp also influenced by Japaneses Goju ryu. I remember Sensei Varasteh was a famous karate master in Iran before revolution.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwZYgNC9my0
as you can see in this clip he is doing a variation of Chatan Yara Kusanku but at the end it changes to something else. He did this demonstration in 1974 for Asian games in Tehran. you can see his Sanchin kata is his own creation. his karate was hard.

if you are a kumite oriented practitioner then Kanzen ryu the way sensei Varasteh was teaching is great with lots of attacking and sweeps. you need to keep in mind that Kanzen ryu doesn't have a strong root like Shotokan. after Iran's revolution when sensei Varasteh left the country and moved to Canada, he lost all the contacts with his organization in Iran and pretty much had to start over.

if you are into basics and kata(s) then Shotokan is well documented. with shotokan you have nothing to lose. with Kanzen ryu you won't have that chain of history if it is important to you.

Jetrail
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan karate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the info, I'm going to do some more research on it. It does seem that the styles are simular. I'm studying and training in yellow belt material in shotokan right now and I'm just curious about the different styles of karate, thank you again for the info.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetrail wrote:
Thank you for the info, I'm going to do some more research on it. It does seem that the styles are simular. I'm studying and training in yellow belt material in shotokan right now and I'm just curious about the different styles of karate, thank you again for the info.

Have you asked your Sensei about the differences between the two?? Your Sensei could be a treasure chest full of info!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: