Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Tweedy
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 11:22 am    Post subject: What are the most practical and effective martial arts? Reply with quote

So far, I've got Mau Thai (sp?), Lau-gar, Akido, Wing Chun, Jeet Kune Do (which I know is a derivation of WC), Jubutsu, shootfighting and submission fighting.
Can anyone add anymore if they know of some, and explain what fighting techniques these incorporate, as I'm wanting to take up martial arts again but I'm researching all the different types before I make my choice.
Cheers

Kyle-san
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to add Aikijutsu to that list and, from what I've heard, Chin-Na. I know Aikijutsu is very effective and have heard Chin-Na is similar, however I'm not positive on that. I'm sure someone will be along in a short while with links that'll give much more information.

JerryLove
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~mcweigel/rmafaq/rmafaq2.html

That said... As this is a groaner question, I am not about to answer it. But I would like to address one thing.

"Jeet Kune Do (which I know is a derivation of WC)" Mr.Lee stopped using Jun-Fan KungFu as a name for his art (and hence started JKD) specifically to get away from the "classical mess" that he percieved CMA to be. As such, while JKD is based on Bruce's work; and while his early training was WC; I think calling JKD simply a "derivation of WC" is not accurate.

JKD is more of a conglomerate art, containing pieces of many arts (including WC). You may be aware of this, and that may have been what you ment; but it doesn't appear that way in the way you said it.

tessone
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no good answer to this question, but I'll try to point you in the right direction. Any art can be tremendously effective, but it depends on what shape you're in, how you were taught, how far along you are in the curriculum, and how dedicated you are.

I'd suggest looking for an art that sounds interesting to you. Once you've done that, look for a studio nearby. Go and watch or participate in a class or two. Watch how the instructor deals with his students, and you'll see the focus of the studio. Some focus on sparring, others on forms, practical applications, and still others on things like ki. Look for an instructor who talks about how the curriculum applies to the real world and join up. Not everybody's in martial arts for the fighting, but most arts will provide that in spades if you want it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Tweedy
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerryLove wrote:
Try http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~mcweigel/rmafaq/rmafaq2.html

That said... As this is a groaner question, I am not about to answer it. But I would like to address one thing.

"Jeet Kune Do (which I know is a derivation of WC)" Mr.Lee stopped using Jun-Fan KungFu as a name for his art (and hence started JKD) specifically to get away from the "classical mess" that he percieved CMA to be. As such, while JKD is based on Bruce's work; and while his early training was WC; I think calling JKD simply a "derivation of WC" is not accurate.

JKD is more of a conglomerate art, containing pieces of many arts (including WC). You may be aware of this, and that may have been what you ment; but it doesn't appear that way in the way you said it.

Well okay, I'm not as well informed as you. I just had it understood that Bruce Lee first practiced Wing Chun, and when he decided to invent his own school of fighting, Wing Chun provided the foundaton for it. Bruce Lee just evolved it from there and, as you said, assimilated the best elements of other disciplines into his fighting style.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reaction. If you can react you can do ok reguardless your training style. Too many times people are caught off guard or just lock up. Style or Art IMO don't matter as much as personal readiness.

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Lee, never intended for JKD to be a style, it is a way of thinking.

G95champ, I could not agree more.

Take Care

Radok
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorin-ryu Karate-do

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okinawan Karates in general.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

SD
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i believe JKD as more of a phylosophy and a way of thinking than an actual "style"

Xtreme Fury
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

take whatever you want but personally if i had a choice out of all those arts i'd pick wing chun. muay thai is good too but you can't really practice it with other people too well once you get old.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: