Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

R5ky
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:02 pm    Post subject: What are your current eating habbits (good/bad) Reply with quote

What do you eat right now, being a martial artist? (Be sincere.)

Do you eat mostly junk food or mostly nutritious stuff?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I eat a combination of junk food and nutritional stuff. I might get some fast food on an occasional Friday, and for the most part, and because of medical reasons, I eat a lot of nutritional stuff throughout the week, like chicken and fish. I drink about 120 ounces of water a day.

R5ky
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for Sharing Sense8

I currently follow similar eating patterns. I was losing 6 pounds while using intermittent fasting and cooking my own meals when everything changed one night when I went out to dinner with relatives. We ate really well, and I just told myself that I could have one or two more junk meals and then get back on track, but that never happened.

I've discovered that when I train while having bad eating habits, I get really winded and feel overweight.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is an interesting challenge. I have Meniere's disease, and Crohn's disease. The Crohn's is pretty well under control now, but the Meniere's is a different story. I have to limit my salt intake to 2 grams per day, and avoid caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol. Nicotine isn't a problem, because I never smoked or chewed tobacco, and I would only have a drink occasionally. Giving up caffeine sucked, as I liked my Dr. Pepper and coffee.

Because of the salt limitations, I prepare a lot of my own food at home. I have a salt substitute that I use, and I avoid processed foods at all costs. One slip up will have my world spinning for an entire day, and likely seeing everything that I ate before. I try to do whole foods, ground beef and turkey, steak and chicken, steamed vegetables, and fresh fruit. I still leave some room for some sweets, like ice cream and dark chocolate. Overall, cooking has been good for me, but I still carry a little extra weight.

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely don’t have a great diet. I’m 27, so in fearing the days when my eating habits catch up to me and I gain a bunch of weight. But, I love to eat! I’m pretty consistent with this, so here’s a normal day of eating:

Breakfast: 32g protein
- 2 packs of protein oatmeal (Kind brand)
- 1 chobani Greek yogurt

Lunch: big burrito, estimating 40-50g protein
- steak burrito (steak, rice, beans, some kinda veggies and sauces)

Dinner: 30-50g protein
- Chipotle (white rice, pinto beans, double or triple chicken, cheese)

Some habits, good/bad….
- I don’t drink a lot of water. At all.
- I drink a lot of wine
- I drink a cup or 2 of coffee every morning
- I drink 1 monster energy drink each day, except weekends
- After chipotle, sometimes, I’ll binge on stuff like cereal, cheezits, or some kinda unhealthy snack that you’d put in your kids lunch box. Not every night, but more than I should.

So while it’s not TERRIBLE, I have things that I want to work on, specifically drinking more water and eliminating the energy drinks. I’m sure it’s already begun to catch up to me as it’s becoming harder to keep the weight off. Lol

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working on having a healthy diet for a long time, so I have a pretty good routine. I start my day with cheerios or chex and a protein smoothie. I try to limit my added sugars, so I usually only have a cup of the cereal and my main caloric intake is from the smoothie. For lunch, I usually have leftovers. This means chicken or pork with some roasted veggies. For dinner, on days that we don't eat out, I'll make a protein, a veg, and usually a potato. I also snack on nuts, fruits, and carrots throughout the day. I choose those because they don't make me feel full but give me the energy I need between meals. I take a stimulant for my ADHD and am prone to undereating, so eating small snacks like these is essential to staying healthy for me as well as giving me extra fiber and micronutrients.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

R5ky
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to hear for those who are dealing with digestive issues

Fat Cobra
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I could eat a lot better...and could use to lose some weight (thus my name). I was in excellent shape the first half of my career in the Army (I spent a total of 24.5 years in). But during the second half, I started to gain wait and left the Army 55 lbs. heavier than when I started. A lot of it is muscle, but there is also too much fat.

Now, I have been out for over 7 years. I still workout, obviously with karate, but also workout outside of karate. I still run (slowly), lift weights, do calisthenics and such, but I have had problems losing weight. I think it is a combination of getting older and what I eat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: