Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Kusotare"][quote="Prototype"]
Kusotare wrote:

Your second vid was definitely better - although I'm not a fan of counter torqueing the lead hand guard (I know some croups do this and I have heard arguments for and against).

K.

Funny you mention that, I can't seem to throw a really hard kick on a target without this side effect. Maybe it's a balance thing.

What are the arguments for torqueing the lead hand guard? I wouldn't do it if I could choose..

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.A.L wrote:
Prototype wrote:
Also note that when I kick targets it's technically different from doing kata kicks.

See here
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wMQ5lzK6YAM

Two completely different kicks mechanically

I put it at top 40% among Korean arts kickers but it was more interesting if you would have done it slower or with a moment of locking the technique. a hold would show the strength which comes with time and training. if this kick , is the best you can do and you don't have any major physical limitation, I can only say you are above 6 months practicing either at home or a club.

I have two questions for you :
1- can you open your legs 180. if you can NOT then is it a physical limitation or you need more training time?

2-can you stay in Shiko dachi for 2 minutes ? if NOT, is it a physical limitation or you need more training time?

1. No. Physical limitation according to my experience.
2. Yes I can. Just did it

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Violent unruly youths Reply with quote

Sorry, I will not grade this because rank is completely unimportant across the board!!

Since YOU asked...What rank do YOU think it is??

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Violent unruly youths Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Sorry, I will not grade this because rank is completely unimportant across the board!!

At the very least 1st degree black belt.

Kusotare
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Traditional Japanese Karate, Koryu Bujutsu (Jujutsu, Iaido and Kenjutsu)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Violent unruly youths Reply with quote

Prototype wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

Do you have a formal rank/grade at present?

K.

Kusotare
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Traditional Japanese Karate, Koryu Bujutsu (Jujutsu, Iaido and Kenjutsu)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Violent unruly youths Reply with quote

Prototype wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

I can't speak from a TKD perspective but in our karate group this wouldn't be considered good enough for 1st Dan.

But as others have mentioned, you cant base a grade/rank on one technique.

K.

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Violent unruly youths Reply with quote

Kusotare wrote:
Prototype wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

I can't speak from a TKD perspective but in our karate group this wouldn't be considered good enough for 1st Dan.

K.

Then I guess the standard of ITF TaeKwondo is worse. Every black belt in this clip throws a far worse roundhouse kick first clip https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uVQAj7YT6nE

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the black belts in this Tang Soo Do lecture by Hwang jang Lee are even worse. Spin kicks but body cordination tells the tale

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Re8kOq64mzY

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Violent unruly youths Reply with quote

Prototype wrote:
Kusotare wrote:
Prototype wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

K.

Then I guess the standard of ITF TaeKwondo is worse. Every black belt in this clip throws a far worse roundhouse kick first clip https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uVQAj7YT6nE

With respect, you are asking on a forum for people to valid your kick. So if you are unsure of your own technique, how can you judge others so harshly? The kicks in the clip you criticise look fine to me. They are not as fast as yours. But speed counts for nothing without power, stability and repeatability.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Violent unruly youths Reply with quote

Prototype wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

You're not wanting us to validate you, rank wise, are you?? Because if you are, I apologize, but, I bow out of this thread all together. I've been way to long on the floor to entertain that type of thing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: