Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Lau gar
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gun on you in a street situation iv'e been thinking about it and the best i can think of is keep running keep low keep dodging you have to do stuff when your'e close up any ideas in either situation

muaythaidm
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give him/her what they want. I would rather be out my wallet and watch then dead.

Martial_Artist
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: The Pure Art

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on so many factors, but boils down to one thing: DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO SAVE YOUR LIFE. If you have to give the guy your money, etc., do it. If you have to run; do it. And if you have to fight; do it. Just do whatever is necessary to stay alive.

Knuth
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At point blank range I think I would do everything I could to take the attacker down, wrist grab, single leg take down, etc.

Past seven or so yards I think I would use the magical tecniques of run-fu.

John G
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: ITF Taekwon-Do, Wing Chun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throw the mother in-law between you and the attacker, then run..

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do

ckdstudent
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Choi Kwang Do

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do what they say, kill them if you get the opportunity, or get away and around a corner fast.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We practice jerking our heads like someone is behind them. Hope they get nervouse. The key is to talk and be calm. Most people do not want to kill you they just want you money, car, etc.

Now if its a deal where you think you are as good as dead anyhow go for it. Things to keep in mind.
1. Is there anyone arround?
2. Who will I put in danger if I act?
3. Is he or she look to be high or drunk?

Im not a fan of running because I think that will make the gunman panic and shoot but if you can get to a wall or something to use as cover then thats differant.

None of us can say what we would do but the one thing we all have to do is learn to be calm.

Taikudo-ka
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I hope never to come across that situation...

I don't know, I'd probably try to bluff my way out of it.

But as G says, if it came down to having to do something, or I'm dead anyway, there are a few things I'd consider.

If someone if after your wallet, the act of passing it to them would probably be the best place to "pull a swifty". If you tossed the wallet at them from a distance, they might have trouble keeping a gun on you and catching it at the same time. Or when passing it, their attention is distracted, you could try a hard block to the holding arm and a strike with the other hand to the face or something.
You could also try stepping in diagonally so you're out of the immediate aim, then using a striking block to take out the gun arm, another follow through to disable the attacker.
Then grab the gun if possible, and get the hell out of there in any case.

Note that you have exactly one chance to get this EXACTLY right, or you're most likely dead.
One very slim chance.

Pretty much the only way the "gun guy" will lose is if they back down and won't/can't really use the gun.

Actually I'd say the best art to know in that situation would be stage magic, not martial arts... distract the guy with some sleigh of hand involving the wallet while you switch his gun with a banana or something. Then walk away with his gun and HIS wallet while he walks three blocks before realizing what's happened.

Withers M.A.A.
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give them whatever they want except for your life. If they want your wallet or your car give it to them. You can replace these items.

[CT]pizzaboy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: blue-belt taekwondo/green belt Yoshukai

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start off be saying to truely be able to handle yourself at gun point, you have to have a gun. You have to be comfortable with a gun, so when you encounter one on the street you don't panick.

However, don't get yourself into that situation. Be aware of where you are, and who's around you. Criminals look for easy victims so "Walk the walk". My sensei has something about him that when he walks, you have a feeling that if you mess with him, you'll be knocked flat. Nobody is invinsible but when you walk with your back straight, shoulders back, chest out, people look at you differently. Walk with a purpose, not blindly looking at the ground.

Obvisously, walking down Main Street would not get a gun pointed at you. But maybe that will happen if you're walking down that sidewalk where all the drug dealers and hookers are standing. If you have that gut feeling inside your stomach, that nagging feeling which saids, "Don't go", listen to it.

Its great to be in class and learn how to deal with a gun but in real life there will be resistant. And anything can happen. If you don't want to be in that situation, then don't put yourself in that situation. Don't be a victim.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: