Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2002 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you who like to work forms do you enjoy learning katas from other styles?

Do they make you look at what you have allready learned differently?

Joecooke007
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2002 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see learning forms from other styles as a good thing. You can always learn new things and take combos from kata while sparring.

ronryu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shito ryu karate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2002 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i enjoy learning the way different okinawan/japanese styles do kata ie....shorinryu , goju ryu etc.... but im not really into goingin outside the traditional system such as i have taken taekwondo but i do not pratice it anymore i stick just to the traditional okinawan styles ... I also love learning the ways different sttyles bunaki the same kata.

Ryukyu kobudo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Piastre
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2002 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need to be selective whenever cross-training in different styles. I certainly don't advocate that training needs to be completely homogenous, just that certain styles may complement each other better.
The good thing about comparing the kata's of different styles is that while the techniques may appear different aesthetically, the bunkai doesn't change.

jamie
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2002 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to learn,one must be trully open minded,to one's own ability,the short comming of the system you train in,the short comming of other systems as well as the positive attributes from where ever and whoever you find it.
A CLOSED MIND LEARNS NOTHING
A DEAF MAN HEARS NOTHING
A BLIND MAN SEES NOTHING
AND A DEAD MAN CAN DO NONE OF THESE

TKD_McGee
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2002 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it may be a good hobby like Tai Chi for old people..

There are countless forms and styles...

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2002 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since being involved in the practice of TKD I have found that it has very strong roots in the Japanese martial arts. The most notable of these, primarily because its tradition still continues today, is Shotokan. "Pyong-An" patterns are exactly the same patterns practiced in Shotokan. In Japanese they are called "Heian". Tae Kwon Do black belts who, as part of their traditional curriculum, study patterns called Bal-Sek, Chul-Gi, or Kong-San-Koon should know that these patterns are also traditional Shotokan forms with the Japanese names Bassai, Tekki, and Kanku. Even the WTF-recognized Palgwe patterns have Japanese origins. If you examine the Pyong-An (Heian) forms, you will see similarities to the Palgwe patterns.
I'm not going into the whole history about the ITF/WTF ... but the WTF's intentions was to create an entirely Korean set of hyungs (or katas). The ITF was bringing Tae Kwon Do to many other parts of the world by this time. Their patterns (the Chon-Ji pattern set) were also heavily influenced by the Japanese styles.
For those students who enjoy their TKD hyungs/katas and are ready for additional material, studying the Shotokan patterns enhances their art and opens new windows of insight into Tae Kwon Do's principles and inherent beauty.

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-01-09 12:26 ]

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2002 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was said so eloquently Kickchick. Yes that is how I feel.

I had a friend who was a getting ready for his 3rd degree black belt in tae kwan do. We worked out together a few times. (Boy, was I ever out classed I was like 6th kyu at the time.) But some of the katas I watche him do I recognized and started asking questions. I think that is when my curiosity about how other styles do kata's was born. I have spent a lot of time researching since then and it is fascinating.

Slider
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2002 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,
I cannot emphisize the training with other styles enough. Katas from other styles are great..especially if you are a competitor. I have many friends that train in kenpo cuz they love the movment, and fluidity of motion that it offers. I myself am learning Basai Sho for competition on the NBL karate circuit. I will compete in the Traditional Kata division.
Training in other styles is not only encouraged by myself...but I require it as well of ALL my students. It will broaden their horizons. I was a shining example of wanting to train in other styles to further my unquenching need for knowledge...my instructor told me to choose between that, and my school...I never trained with him again.

You wont be able to keep a young mind from learning...dont try.

Hasta!!
Slider
2nd Degree Black Belt
Ed Parker Kenpo Karate

niel0092
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Kali, TKD, judo (formerly)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to learn different kinds of forms. Tai Chi, Karate, Kung Fu, ITF TKD...anything different from what I do now. Only two things stopping me (for now): 1)relative lack of experience in WTF TKD ie only 2 years 2) lack of cashflow. Ah, maybe someday...
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: