Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

kungfumaster
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Little bit of this a little bit of that mainly preying mantis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 5:20 pm    Post subject: What do you think of the business side of martial arts? Reply with quote

(no message)

White_Tiger
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are a school owner it is a necessary evil. It is cool if you are selling a good product at a fair price. Some people think you should be ashamed for making money teaching martial arts. If you have spent years learning something others want to learn, and they are willing to pay for your knowledge then I am all for it!

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to have a job that makes you happy, and want to make a living at it, then it is necessary to get into the business side of the martial arts. Just because you do that does not mean you have to sacrafice what you teach and how you teach it.

Sure there are places out there that make a killing selling this and that to their students and parents, and perhaps have sacraficed in their teachings, but who says you gotta follow that path to be successful

As White Tiger said, as long as you have a good prouct at a fair price....can't go wrong

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has to be done to survive. Dues must be paid and collected or the dojo can't stay open. I hate asking people for money to take class becaue lots of times I know they don't have it. However if your faced with rent, power bills, etc it has to be done.

Lamonte
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to teach computer classes to business folks. I knew large classes meant more profit for my employer, but I also discovered large classes are a lot less "personable." I preferred smaller classes where I could interact with the students on a one-on-one basis. I have seen this same analogy in the martial arts schools I've visited.

In my experience there does seem to be a large gap between the "rich" dojos and the "poor" dojos. I started out in a "poor" dojo - we initially met in a dance studio - and have always felt uncomfortable in the "rich" dojos. My comments will show this bias, but remember its only from MY limited observations.

I've observed that the "richer" dojos I've visited have some form of marketing and business plans. They have geared themselves to attract large numbers of students, usually kids. Their dojos are cleaner and their classes are larger.

The "poor" dojos I've been in have virtually no marketing and rely mostly on word of mouth. They meet in rented (sometimes odd) places and have fewer students. They are tougher and they give you good one-on-one attention. They are more geared to mentor.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: