Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: What does using Bone Power mean to you? Reply with quote

Do you practice or use bone power movements?

Fat Cobra
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not heard of this. What does it consist of?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Cobra wrote:
I have not heard of this. What does it consist of?

I wonder myself. Any info in this regards to preface your OP, Alan??

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without knowing your definition of "bone power," it is hard to say. Bones do not actually generate power, but they do transfer it, and in that regard, we incorporate the study of bone alignment as part of chinkuchi. Essentially, trying to ensure that the joints of the body move in such a way, and the bones line up in such a way, that power is transferred as efficiently and safely as possible.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I personally regard bone power is that of a type of Dragon or lizard movement, could also include Greyhounds and Cheaters with their attribute of speed and agility.

As bone power still needs muscles, the use of them is put to the minimum.

Bruce Lee's one inch punch is typical use of bone power, encompassing total skeletal alignment opone impact.

Bruce Lee's physique resembling the leaness of muscle for utilising bone power, strength, speed and agility.

Bone power includes activating the spine and includes full range of movement, also using the joints elasticity to the fullest.

Watching Shaolin monks limbering up and stretching is very obviously bone power methodology at work.

As using bone power encompasses using minimal muscle, the hyperextending and Stretching out and reaching when delivering blows can create extraordinary results, such as an over hand right thrown to the head, that lands can be devastating for the recipient.

Fat Cobra
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, I see.

Though I agree with your statements, I interpret it a little different. One of our Core Principles in Ryukyu Kempo is "Structural Integrity." To us (and I assume to most styles), everything starts with the feet on the ground. If your stance or structure is strong, it transfers throughout your entire body. Yes, body mechanics, such as hip movement and joint movement (and muscle), have a lot to do with power, but solid structural integrity does as well. If your base is week everything else will also be. Your base relies on your skeletal framework as much as your muscles.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With martial arts there is always exceptions to rules, even with structural integrity and balance as important as they are they are not the all and end all of fighting, but I do like to keep mine as intact as possible all the while attacking the opponents.

Claude van Dame utilise bone power in his movies especially when he has that crazy look on his face when palm striking his opponent in the chest LOL.

Shotokan with its emphasis on one blow to finish a fight is also in the region of using bone power, as when also adding throws and takedowns, then this automatically becomes a fierce Dragon way of figjting.

Also heavy handedness when striking uses bone power and also can be used when using feet, elbows and knees, by relaxing the muscles the weight of the bones can be better utilized as most people hit with far too much tension in their muscles, which is similar to driving and the brakes are on all the time.

Fat Cobra
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Also heavy handedness when striking uses bone power and also can be used when using feet, elbows and knees, by relaxing the muscles the weight of the bones can be better utilized as most people hit with far too much tension in their muscles, which is similar to driving and the brakes are on all the time.

Alan, I agree with you 100% on this one.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Cobra wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:

Alan, I agree with you 100% on this one.

The bone is the frame work behind each and every technique the we can ever create and imagine. Without the bone utilized as it is and/or can be, there's nothing we can do.

Imho!!

Last edited by sensei8 on Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that structural integrity is important in technical execution. Muscles provide the movement of the body, and thus the power. The skeletal system provides the support.

However, I feel that the use of the term "bone power" can be misleading, leading one to believe that there is a difference between that and "muscle power."

As mentioned earlier, bones themselves cannot provide any power. They provide the support.

Speaking in terms of physics, power = work done or energy transferred per unit of time, or the time rate of doing work.

Bruce Lee's one-inch punch was so devastating because of his explosive ability. His "locking" of the technique upon completion is what I believe you are referring to as "bone power." The same can be said of an extended side kick or a reverse punch in a form or a board break.

I think I understand the point you are trying to make, I just don't like the terminology.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: