Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: What drills to improve your sensitivity reflexes? Reply with quote

“Just like yin and yang: power can’t beat skills. That’s why skills like Chi Sao or sensitivity reflexes are the intelligent part in martial arts, which only serves those who understand.” - Mark Stas

This is the man behind the Wing Flow System. The closest I’ve gotten to practices like chi sao are some flow drills from Patrick McCarthy in his style of Koryu Uchinadi. But I’m curious, what other flow drills are out there? I’d love to see other karate-specific exercises, but All styles and methods are welcome!

For an example, link below to drills I’m familiar with from Koryu Uchinadi:
[url] https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpm6J0wnz7ypN8VPl7ONJpJ0SSld7CVH9[/url]
Link to Chi Sao I thought was pretty cool:
[url] https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qaP1X-lEtgc[/url]

Edit: not sure if the first link is working
[url] https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7z-6le-H60&list=PLpm6J0wnz7ypN8VPl7ONJpJ0SSld7CVH9&index=2&t=32s[/url]

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do just about the same thing as found in the three links you provided, especially the last one. Being that we are mainly a close range proponents, with our main goal is to get behind our opponent, we train religiously with the Wing Chun Wooden Dummy all of the time...from day one.

With us, our sensitivity drills are geared with a huge heavy resistance training; you better have your receiving skills wide awake and in-tune. If not, well, you'll know it, and that's for sure.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a wide variety of tactile sensitivity drills and exercises, and I think they are incredibly important, if often out of context. Karate has a variety of kakie/kakidi drills for this purpose, which build up to kakedameshi, which is a free-form sticky hands type of sparring. You can also press a ball against a wall and move it around the wall just with pressure from your body, or work sticking and moving with a swinging bag, or tie a rope to something and manipulate it without grabbing it or letting it fall, etc.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: