Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Rotten Head Fok
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Choy-Li-Fut, Tai Chi Chuan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for posting your article, I always enjoy someones opinion other than my own,( but not always). When I first got envolved with MA's , Bruce Lee was my first motivater. When I inrolled in my first school I wanted to become a teacher and didn't give any thoughts about socializing. Now a-days I train alone because it's very personal to me, a relashionship that I try to nourish through self-disciplined training. At this stage in my life the only people I would care to share this with would be other martial artist with the same seriousness.
Good article, thanks again!
You must be stable and balanced in your foot work, if you have to use your martial knowledge in combat, your intent should be to win. If you do strike, you must release great power! The martial arts are easy to learn, but difficult to correct.

markusan
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: TKD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we are just a big bundle of insecurities and MA helps relieve us of some of those, especially at the start. Then there's my theory that humans, especially men, but women too, have evolved to fight. We're the toughest meanest species on the planet after all. Living in communities has put a lid on that but the internal pressure's still there. The Martial arts let us exercise those primal urges in a socially acceptable way. I think a lot of the other reasons, self defence, fitness, confidence are symptoms of that, not the real reason we do it.

White Warlock
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: See my Intro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We're the toughest meanest species on the planet after all.

Whoa! Let's not get carried away here. Take away our technology and opposable thumb, and we're actually some of the wimpiest pack animals around.

Evolution gave us a bipedal stance so that we can see farther down the horizon, and above tall grasses. This is a defensive characteristic, not an offensive one.

Evolution gave us the ability to climb. Again, another defensive characteristic.

I could go on, but you get my point.

Intro

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markusan wrote:

I think I'd rather face an angry human than an angry bear or lion, though...

Sheffield Steelers!

markusan
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: TKD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I expressed it wrongly, as a species we are the most successful killers on the planet. The brain, opposable thumb, the weapons, the ability to store knowledge externally and add to it, are all part of the deal, as much a part of our evolution as a lion's claws. From where I sit the bears and the lions aren't doing all that well, unfortunately.

Kamiya
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu (Okinawan karate)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting theory, not sure if I completely agree. I agree with whoever it was before (too lazy to go back and look, sorry!) that pointed out there are many other ways to achieve social interaction outside the martial arts. I think there must something more to the martial arts that makes people choose them specifically.

I have numerous reasons for studying karate, and social interaction isn't really one of them. I think one of my biggest reasons is that I just find it so neat to learn an art form that's been passed down for many generations. I think the martial arts are beautiful and I want to do my part to help perpetuate them. ^_^

Of course, I also really need the exercise, plus I've seen so many martial art moves in the movies or on TV that just look SO DANG COOL I HAVE TO LEARN THEM!!!

9th Kyu

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft."
~ Theodore Roosevelt

soul fighter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Japanese Jiu Jitsu, Wrestling

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I have noticed is that my reason to train has completely changed

Now, that I've started to attract girls, I'm just looking for a girl who's interested in more than my skill or my build

Now, my reason to train is for me to be able to fight in a professional organization

Whether it be K-1, UFC, PRIDE, or Shooto

I want to be well known for what I do

Luckykboxer
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Kenpo Karate, Muay Thai, Jiu Jitsu, Boxing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I just know one day the last human will die and a cockroach is going to walk over his head :/

dang cockroaches :/

Muay_Thai
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Muay_Thai and Aikido

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awsome post that is exactaly why i joined because i felt that i wanted to do somehting in my life and make it a art

longarm25
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu, Ryu Kyu Te

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice article

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha
but do not reley on them." Musashi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6
Jump to: