Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Cmon
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Jeet Kune Do

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i enjoy martial arts because i get to make new friends. Learn how to fight, and feel part of something. I also want to do something in the week other then school. It gives me more confidence and it keeps me fit. Im learning interesting stuff. And most of all IT'S FUN!

Krazy Carol
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin-Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the social aspect of training with like minded people. I have met some of the most interesting and compassionate people within my dojo walls. Training side by side with them pushes me beyond what I thought I was capable of. Training together in Karate Do.

86years in the making..... Red Sox World Champs.....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

pineapple
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kajukenbo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started training in the martial arts because I was the guy that everyone picked on when I was little so my initial reason was to learn to fight. After years of training, I learned that the discipline that I picked uo helped me in all aspects of life and it made me cherish the arts. Now my goal is to teach others so they can change their life through the arts as it did for me.
Martial arts also give me a feeling of belonging. (social aspect) Why do kids join gangs? Because they feel a need to belong to something. I tell parents to let their kids join this gang where everything is positive and beneficial to them. I love the friends that I have made in the martial arts world.

Muaythaiboxer
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: teakwondo judo muaythai boxing wresling kung-fu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me it is the desire to be the best... ever time i hit my bag every time i feel like i cant do another mile i just repeate to myself "I will be champion, i will work harder, how bad do i want it"

i love everything about the martial arts. it may seem weird but i even like the pain associated with it, im not a masochist or any thing but every time it really hurts i just put the pain back in to training.

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MichiganTKD wrote:
I remember being 14 years old, and being really unhappy inside. Not Columbine unhappy, just really unhappy. You know Ralph Macchio's character in the Karate Kid? That was me.
After I started practicing, TKD gave me something I really needed. Not just self defense, but also a sanctuary from life. The only thing I can really compare it to is when someone discovers religion and is truly changed by it and discovers how much he really needs it.

We were talking about this the other day in class. And I thought about it long and hard. I've been training for 4 years and I really don't know why. I was like Michigin explained when I was younger. I got into MA for self defense. Then the character building helped (was also timid and had no self esteem as a kid). But I think Michigin it the nail on the head with his last three sentences, for me anyways.

I went through rough times during my 4 years of training. But MA gave me an escape from life or a "release." It helped me through those rough times. Now I just can't do without training.

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Drives a Martial Artist?

Goals

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

Drag'n
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Daidojuku/Kudo ,Muay Thai, TKD.......

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I deffinately dont do it for the social reasons.
When I enter the dojo I enter a whole different state of mind.
I'm completely focused on my goals to learn, train hard and master what I'm doing. I hardly say a word, and I hate it when classmates try to chat about unrelated topics. Outside of class is a different story.
Rolling around on the ground with a bunch of sweaty guys aint my idea of a fun social life anyway.
It was going too far with my social life, partying and drinking, that caused me to stop training for many years.
I started training cause I wanted to move like Bruce and Jackie and those awesome Shaolin monks.Over the years my motivations have changed many times.
Now ,I know its a cliche, but it really is a way of life.
It influences every aspect of my life. Its a constant process of discipline, courage, humility,and self inspection.
I'm constantly pushing myself to face the challenges life presents and confront them with a warrior mindset .
Even if I lost the use of my limbs I think I would continue to train my mind and heart. But I sure hope that doesn't happen!

satans_samurai
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think different things drive different martial artists, but the thing that drives me is acheivement and also it helps if you enjoy what you do as I thoroughly enjoy karate and the training sessions I go to are really good which is probably why Ive stuck at it and will continue to.

great thread!!!!!!!

darkness
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly the reason I started karate was because I wanted a sport to do when I wasn't doing cross country skiing. I tried other sports(basketball, track and field, kayaking) but they just didn't cut it for me. I decided to try karate in particular because I thought that even if I didn't stick with it I might as least pick up a bit on how to defend myself (which I have, LOL I hadn't even thrown a punch ever before

younwhagrl
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Youn Wha Ryu {2nd degree Red}

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article! I do martial arts b/c of the friends i gained in it, the great family i have met in martial arts keeps me going..if I never had my martial arts family..I dunno where I would be, also the confidence martial arts has given me is HUGE..I used to be shy but since i started martial arts..I am not like that anymore..martial arts has changed my life for the better!!
www.YounWha.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: