Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Akemoshi
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Dim-Mak Arts, Tae Kwon Do, Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you're saying and its a great thread. although I do like interaction among people who share the same interests, and come to learn the same thing I'm learning. I honestly prefer training by myself over training with others. It takes my concentration off of others and allows me to not care for anything but my training. no one slowing me down, no one holding me back. Does anyone else feel this way?
----------------

Clarence
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Street Fighting, Kung Fu, Karate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a great article, very informative but there is one simple reason why we do what we do:
We want to find our equal, our adversary who can fight with us on our level a challeneged is what we really want, a challenged

fallen_milkman
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Kuntao

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article. Very entertaining and made me think about my reasons. I believe I also wanted the challenge. I have never done anything important with my life. I feel like gong fu fills a part of me I never used.

Kieran-Lilith
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Eugue Ryu, Iaido, Aikido

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good article, but I can't say I agree. I don't go there for social time. That's what high school is for. I know when I originally started it was because Dad had been high ranking in TKD, a brown belt. I always wanted to copy and do just like him. I'm a daddy's girl, you see. Then, when we quit, I wanted to get back...some day...I'm also a procrastinator. But get back I did, almost one year ago. 7 days off one year exact. When I joined this time, it was because I held my fascination with it all, and my friend helped me find it again. This friend I usually call green belt boy on this forum, as he hasn't registered...but I don't go there for anyone, not anymore. I go there for me. I go there because I want to learn, I want to be better, I want to be a true warrior, and not just some kid who can kick and punch. Sad as this sounds, I want to be like the samurai. All of this...it really is a way of life, and I can't imagine living without it again.

Tef
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo, Wu-Tang Sword, Muay Thai, Kechwa MA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: Good one steve!!! Reply with quote

Natural wrote:
Am so agree with the fees on martial arts I use my pocket money to go lessons and safe some to buy stuff really.

I get £12 - £15 on my pocket money £6 goes to lesson, and on saturday my mom pays for it.

But my dream is to become an Instrutor and go back to my country and starts my own style when am around 4th dan 5th dan.

So agree with the money thing, too! My dojo runs from 100 U.S.D. to 400! That's insane!

I also want to start me own styles after i earn my blackbelt.
Hyphy style - a martial art mixed with movements from Hyphy dance. Ala Capoeria (sp). Watch the "tell me when to go" music video to get an idea of the dance. Then, imagine a person fighting using those movements.

Puma Style - An animal style i'm going to have to do some research on. Basically, it's like leopard style with with a lot more body lifting and kicking.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice article. I like the reasons that you list, and even appreciate the order that they are listed in. If it were me, I would rearrange the order some, but to each his own. And that is exactly what we all get out of our training; our own art!

Sensei Tom O'Brien
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Vee-Jitsu, Shotokan, Arnis, Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Z that was an excellent post. There are probably a lot more reasons why people take up the MA. I would like to know what peoples opinion is about regulating what we do. I am thinking about posting this as a topic but I just wanted some opinions before I do. Right now anybody can put up a sign saying 'Joe Smith Karate' 10th degree black belt. There is no organization that requires anyone to prove it. There are so many great legitimate martial artists out there. There are also phonies who rip people off. What can be done and how?
Thanks,
Sensei Tom

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sensei Tom O'Brien wrote:
Wow! Z that was an excellent post. There are probably a lot more reasons why people take up the MA. I would like to know what peoples opinion is about regulating what we do. I am thinking about posting this as a topic but I just wanted some opinions before I do. Right now anybody can put up a sign saying 'Joe Smith Karate' 10th degree black belt. There is no organization that requires anyone to prove it. There are so many great legitimate martial artists out there. There are also phonies who rip people off. What can be done and how?
Thanks,
Sensei Tom

If you check out the AAU website, you may get some ideas. For TKD, they have some time in rank requirements, and other such requirements for each of their black belt ranks. AAU also has a karate program. It may be a place to start.

Sensei Tom O'Brien
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Vee-Jitsu, Shotokan, Arnis, Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bushido,

The AAU is great. I've been a member for about 30 yrs. now. They don't check your credentials. I'm talking about something like the Boxing Commision. A regulatory body that makes sure people are legit.
Thanks,
Sensei Tom

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sensei Tom O'Brien wrote:
Hey Bushido,

The AAU is great. I've been a member for about 30 yrs. now. They don't check your credentials. I'm talking about something like the Boxing Commision. A regulatory body that makes sure people are legit.
Thanks,
Sensei Tom

Don't you have to test in, or something like that? I remember seeing writing requirements for certain ranks, etc., as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: