Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ZR440
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Filipino

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: What Drives a Martial Artist? Reply with quote

This post was originally published as an article in a dedicated KarateForums.com Articles section, which is no longer online. After the section was closed, this article was most to the most appropriate forum in our community.

It's a question that many have asked. Why do we do what we do? I'm sure you have friends or family who think you are slightly warped for beating yourself up trying to be the next Bruce Lee as they see it. It's bad enough that they can't pronounce what style you practice, but when they smirk or chuckle at you for practicing your techniques or forms at your workplace or school it almost makes a person ask them self why bother if nobody respects what you do? Is it respect from others that makes us live at the dojo? Is it the ability to be able to kick the you know what out of someone? Perhaps it's a combination of both that perpetuates a person to endlessly train. Or is it?

I can think of a few big reasons why a person might not consider the martial arts. The amount of time that is required to achieve an advanced rank or status could possibly be spent on education, a second job, driving the kids to a soccer game, household repairs or attending a boring function scheduled by your spouse. I didn't say you have to enjoy it, did I? Secondly, training at a school isn't cheap. Students probably spend anywhere from twenty five to one hundred US dollars per month. Sure, it might not seem much for something you love, but figure out what that comes to per year and multiply by a lifetime (?). And I didn't even include testing fees, required gear, cost to drive there, medical expenses, etc. In my case I put medical expenses first. Finding a school can also be a chore for some, too. Maybe the person wants to attend a dojo many miles away, but is unsure of the instruction and it requires a two year contract? There's that money thing again. To me this all sounds like nothing more than a big hassle in the long run. Why would someone voluntarily subject themselves to the physical abuse that the martial arts offers and pay for it? Here's my list of reasons, in no particular order, why we choose this way of living. Think about one which, if left out or was missing, would probably make martial arts less motivating to us in general. I'll give my number one reason in the end.

You were forced into it by your parents. Maybe you were not good enough for team sports or had a problem listening even when your father's boot was halfway up your behind because you cut off all of your sister's hair when she was sleeping. They had enough of your disrespect and felt you could benefit from the martial arts discipline. Hopefully, you didn't end up being barked at by a big hairy guy with a severe case of halitosis.

You decided you need exercise, however, you don't want to join a gym or have the neighbor's dog chasing you every time you put your running shoes on. The pants are getting way too tight and you can't see over your gut when you are in the shower, so it's time to get back the shape and flexibility you once had. But that also means you have to cut down on the pizza and beer for it to be effective. No, really, you do.

Bored with your life? Do you feel like you could do all the sweet fighting scenes that you watched in the last Jackie Chan movie? Or is it because all the television networks are airing reruns this time of year? Maybe you can meet some babes at the dojo while you're at it. Just make sure you don't eat tacos for lunch if you know what I mean.

You need to develop your inner self. I'm no sicholo… ah, sychol… wait, psychologist, but I think everyone could improve their self confidence and moral character by participating I'm the martial arts. The feeling of being affirmative during a huge kiahp really helps when you are playing trash compactor with your foot because you ran out of garbage bags and the next scheduled pickup is tomorrow morning. Of course, it takes extra concentration to wrap that stupid little twist tie on the end of the bag when you barely have enough bag to twirl in the first place.

A sense of achievement is missing in your life. You're still miffed for being tossed out of Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts when you were younger and now all you're thinking about is having that black belt around your waist signifying you accomplished something in life. Could also be a sign of boredom. Or maybe you're just a quitter, never finishing anything you start. At least that's what the wife tells you about painting the house.

It wouldn't hurt to learn self defense. You were probably wondering when I was going to mention that. Sure, you see all the crime on the news broadcasts thinking if it happens to me I'll be prepared. That's a half truth. You will have the knowledge to break one attacker's neck, but watch out for his buddy behind you with a baseball bat. You might consider adopting a very large dog to walk you down the street at night if you are that concerned about your safety. The deep throated woof of one of those is more protection than you can provide short of packing a handgun.

Finally, we are at the end of this mindless drivel. As I said before, I would reveal the number one motivating factor for training in martial arts for most people. In fact, I would have to say a huge majority of people. It's simply the social interaction that makes it appealing. What you say? Social interaction? You really are a loon, aren't you, Steve? No. Almost, but not quite. You see, all humans are social junkies at heart. We cannot be without our phones, nightclubs, theme parks, chat rooms, shopping malls, strawberry socials (Why?), sporting events, cocktail parties, nude beaches (???), coffee houses, church, whatever. We will always be addicted to functions that require groups of people. It's almost a genetic requirement. We mentally grow from the stimulus provided by interaction. We thrive for it. If we are denied it, we become social misfits. So what does all this garble have to do with martial arts? Think about how it would be to train without others in your class. Would you still do it?

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the submission.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice article, Steve! Very creative.

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

White Warlock
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: See my Intro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entertaining read. Although I can't say I agree with the final analysis.

Social interaction does help to drive a person to maintain their studies, to be diligent, but partnership is a necessity in training and therefore oftentimes grudgingly tolerated. As you stated, it is hard to practice without partners. Even moreso without friends. So, making friends becomes a side-goal in an effort to enhance the benefits of training and not necessarily the actual driving force.

Recently, a man fumed, entered into my personal space and attempted to intimidate. The incident ended without need for violence but it reminded me why I maintain my studies, despite my collection of injuries.

Each and every day there is something that challenges your level of confidence. Whether it be a relative, friend, stranger, or cataclysmic event, confidence is the one true friend and partner in life. I maintain my studies because I want to build this relationship, to a feeling that does not abandon me, but for which I have abandoned often enough in the past.

I return to my studies after a hiatus because i find myself drifting away... a long-established friendship slowly evaporating due to neglect. And it is this friendship that creates my personal interaction. A study into my own mind and into the driving force to my continued involvement in the pursuit of inner peace.

gheinisch
KF VIP

Styles: Hon-Shin-Do - Shodan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice article Steve! I know the social interaction plays a great role as to why I train. Because of my job and weird hours it requires the nights at the dojo are my only opprotunity to see how the other side lives and to interact with people on a regular basis other than my wife and kids who I love dearly. The family sometimes has a hard time understanding why I want to go to the dojo to get flipped, thrown or punched on when I could stay at home and watch American Idol. That's only one aspect of why I train but a very important one too me. Thanks for all the reminders of daily life as well, ain't they great!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Ripper
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice thought but I have to disagree with your conclusion.

Your question is; what drives a martial artist. If it would be social interaction you could pick up any other occupation. Heck, I think a martial artist (I don't like this term, but that's another thread) is rather antisocial. Instead of having a drink with your friends or family you lock yourself up in a dojo.

I think most of us start for all kinds of wrong reasons. You mentioned some already. Because the need of some physical exercise, self defense, perfection of character, and so on. If you manage to stay a few years, you will find out that for most reasons there are actually better ways to do this, and if you didn't find that out you just keep on fooling yourself. But hey, you invested so much time in it already, you don't want to quit. So you try to find something that you like doing and emphasize your training on that. And besides that if you still think it's fun to do; that would be the biggest reason.

Natural
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Renzokenkai-do, Taikyoku-ken

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Kf sensei, my reason to drives me is I want to become good at the art and achive the best things that avalible and what karate can give me, am not social type.

Natural
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Renzokenkai-do, Taikyoku-ken

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Good one steve!!! Reply with quote

Am so agree with the fees on martial arts I use my pocket money to go lessons and safe some to buy stuff really.

I get £12 - £15 on my pocket money £6 goes to lesson, and on saturday my mom pays for it.

But my dream is to become an Instrutor and go back to my country and starts my own style when am around 4th dan 5th dan.

italian_guy
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Formerly in Goju ryu karate (Nidan) now in Wing chun with past experience also in krav Maga, Kickboxing, Tai chi chuan (yang) and JKD.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the reasons why we do martial art changes with time. At the beginning for me it was just looking for a less repetitive aerobic exercise.
I was just boring of jumping up and down a step or attending the spinning class. So one year ago now the gym where I go opened this kickboxing class and I gave it a try. I never was such an atletic guy I started to go in the gym 4 years ago after almost 20 years of no sporting activity.

Thanks also to my instructor I started to become confident with the art and make visible improvements. At that moment I started to like MAs so I started to read books about it and I joined this forum where I can write to people and sharing thougths. Now my motivation have changed now I'm also interested in the inner benefit of the art not only on the external benefits which anyway are more than the one I had when I was doing aerobics. I recently (since the 12th January) joined a Tai chi chuan class in order to improve the inner benefits.

Concerning the social aspects of martial art I say that those are not my driving factor nevertheless I have to say that I was scared at the beginning that a MA class would be a place where you can easily meet bully or cocky people. Luckily I find that the people attending MA classes are much better than average people, and socially I find myself very well with those people coming from all social classes and having different level of education, I can really say that everybody's nice.

MichiganTKD
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Chung Do Kwan Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reasons why I started practicing Tae Kwon Do could fill a book. It wasn't just self defense, though that certainly played a part. I've often felt that if all you want is self defense, just buy a gun or a dog. I remember being 14 years old, and being really unhappy inside. Not Columbine unhappy, just really unhappy. You know Ralph Macchio's character in the Karate Kid? That was me.
After I started practicing, TKD gave me something I really needed. Not just self defense, but also a sanctuary from life. The only thing I can really compare it to is when someone discovers religion and is truly changed by it and discovers how much he really needs it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6
Jump to: