Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

kenpo4life
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Kenpo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: What exactly is a "leadership" program? Reply with quote

and what do they consist of? I have heard of it a ton of times, but I really dont know what it consists of. Can anyone help a Martial Arts brother out here?

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen everything from it just being an extra karate class (with an extra fee) to an entire curriculum of leadership skills with philosophy, communication skills, problem solving, role playing, teamwork challenges, mentoring, etc.

I think the latter would be a great program for kids who aren't getting that sort of thing elsewhere. I did a similar curriculum when I took JROTC in high school and those skills have been very helpful in the working world.

I think the schools who just use it as a revenue booster give the entire concept a bad name, unfortunately.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience most Leadership Programs are just another revenue generating scheme-teaching "special skills" and giving "special privledges" to students who join.

To me, a leadership should be taught to all students (its part of budo)and those who are interested in becoming instructors in the future or just want to assist in classes should be given the opportunity. I don't charge extra, I give them free training, and in exchange for their assistance they get extra classes.

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imho,

Leadership programs should teach moral expectations to its students!! The moral fiber of the students should be strengthened daily by all, not just the CI, even though, the CI's mentoring of its student body is their responsibility. This is to include the teaching of sound integrity. Without integrity, sound leadership can't exist; only anarchy. Say what you mean, and mean what you say this, imho, should be at the core of any leadership program!!

However, that leadership program shouldn't be a program at all! No! That value should be taught everyday at every class to every student, no matter age or rank or tenure or position...no matter what!!

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Imho,

Leadership programs should teach moral expectations to its students!! The moral fiber of the students should be strengthened daily by all, not just the CI, even though, the CI's mentoring of its student body is their responsibility. This is to include the teaching of sound integrity. Without integrity, sound leadership can't exist; only anarchy. Say what you mean, and mean what you say this, imho, should be at the core of any leadership program!!

However, that leadership program shouldn't be a program at all! No! That value should be taught everyday at every class to every student, no matter age or rank or tenure or position...no matter what!!

Well said and I could agree more.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leadership programmes are usually intended to teach candidates how to lead others by example. In a martial arts context it is probably a way to teach aspiring instructors effective ways of teaching and managing a group of students as well as other useful ideas of how to help others learn.

el-peligroso
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, Jujutsu, Kickboxing, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Leadership Programs" are just another way to generate revenue for school owners and to have higher coloured belts teaching classes so the head instructor can relax in his office.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

kenpo4life
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Kenpo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow peligroso, that sounds like it hit close to home

I thought that it was just another money grab for school owners. Maybe some schools are trying to groom the next group of instructors, but I dont know.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely understand that the bottom line of any P&L has to be meet daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and yearly for said school to succeed, however, at what costs? It's not always about the revenue, and how much can be generated by what's offered to ones student body; those costs are tangible!! But no program, imho, is worth the damaged integrity of said school; that can be a cost that can't be recovered at any length.

Teach Leadership FREE because it shouldn't cost anything to teach and/or learn that which is important to every student. Imagine if parents charged their own children to learn anything of value, and if the children don't pay for the lessons, they'll not learn that which should be free.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: