Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

gzk
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Shootfighting, BJJ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle Maynard, a quadruple amputee, has won a number of submission grappling tournaments and recently fought in an MMA bout, though he lost. In grappling, his abbreviated limbs can even be seen as an advantage, as he has a much lower base than anyone, and is not susceptible to arm or leg locks.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that story. Very nice one, too.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone here at KF know, read about, and/or seen a report on tv about any Deaf Instructor's? I've not ever heard, read, and/or seen any report on tv like this. A deaf black belt is one thing, but, a deaf instructor MIGHT be another thing!

Or is it?

What problems would there be for a Deaf Instructor?

Would a Deaf Instructor need an interpreter/translator?

Would the students obey the instructors commands through a interpreter/translator?

Would having an interpreter/translator on the floor at the same time with the instructor confuse the students? (The interpreter/translator would have to be on the floor beside the instructor)

I'm wondering out loud!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gzk wrote:
Kyle Maynard, a quadruple amputee, has won a number of submission grappling tournaments and recently fought in an MMA bout, though he lost. In grappling, his abbreviated limbs can even be seen as an advantage, as he has a much lower base than anyone, and is not susceptible to arm or leg locks.

I too, remember this story. Brian's right, it was a very nice story. Again, Kyle was telling the martial arts world, experienced and laymen both...what handicap!?!

gzk
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jean-Jacques Machado is a 6th degree black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and is highly decorated, with Brazilian national championship titles (when that was basically the BJJ world championships) and Abu Dhabi titles. His students include Eddie Bravo and Dan Inosanto. He achieved all this despite being born with only a thumb and little finger on his left hand. Eddie Bravo says that this probably helped him help Eddie to develop his rubber guard system, since Jean-Jacques was never able to rely on conventional gi grips.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gzk wrote:
Jean-Jacques Machado is a 6th degree black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and is highly decorated, with Brazilian national championship titles (when that was basically the BJJ world championships) and Abu Dhabi titles. His students include Eddie Bravo and Dan Inosanto. He achieved all this despite being born with only a thumb and little finger on his left hand. Eddie Bravo says that this probably helped him help Eddie to develop his rubber guard system, since Jean-Jacques was never able to rely on conventional gi grips.

Very interesting! Another martial artist who said....what handicap!?!Excellent! Thanks for sharing that!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
gzk wrote:

Very interesting! Another martial artist who said....what handicap!?!Excellent! Thanks for sharing that!

I have one of his books. That guy is a BJJ machine, and I can only imagine what it would be like to train with someone like him.

sensei8 wrote:
Does anyone here at KF know, read about, and/or seen a report on tv about any Deaf Instructor's? I've not ever heard, read, and/or seen any report on tv like this. A deaf black belt is one thing, but, a deaf instructor MIGHT be another thing!

This is an interesting instance, Bob, and I have not heard of anything like it. I'm sure there would be some challenges to work through, as far as communication goes. However, a deaf instructor could offer a class to other deaf students, all of whom could communicate through sign language.

Another point to consider would be whether or not the instructor could read lips or not. But in the end, I think it would be possible for someone to do.

JohnASE
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gzk wrote:

Jean-Jacques is what I think every martial artist should strive to be-skilled yet humble, and a very nice guy. I don't know him well, but for the maybe 14 years I've known him, people have always had good things to say about him and his brothers.

sensei8 wrote:

Or is it?

What problems would there be for a Deaf Instructor?

Would a Deaf Instructor need an interpreter/translator?

Would the students obey the instructors commands through a interpreter/translator?

Would having an interpreter/translator on the floor at the same time with the instructor confuse the students? (The interpreter/translator would have to be on the floor beside the instructor)

I'm wondering out loud!

I haven't heard from him in a while, but we used to have a customer who was deaf and the chief instructor of his school. I'm not comfortable giving out details, not that I really have any, but he taught for many years, and might still be teaching as far as I know.

I see nothing that would keep a deaf person from teaching martial arts. Many can speak well and read lips. I can see how communicating could be more difficult, but a lot of people have trouble understanding Japanese senseis too!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another example, Master Robert Ott, who after being the victim of a crime, was blinded, among other things. He teaches Hapkido: http://www.sinmoolegacy.com/Pages/Instructors/Ott.html

gzk
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
[

I have one of his books. That guy is a BJJ machine, and I can only imagine what it would be like to train with someone like him.

His brother Rigan visits every year around the time of our national championships (we're affiliated with the Machados, our head instructor is a student of Rigan's) and I don't know how much Rigan is like Jean-Jacques, but Rigan is one of those people who is everyone's friend, and likes to teach what he calls "Disneyland techniques" occasionally, like the cartwheel guard pass, countering the omoplata with a foot lock, helicopter armbar, etc. I have heard that Jean-Jacques goes after submissions more aggressively than his brothers (besides Rigan there is John, Carlos and Roger).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: