Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: What I Have Learned Reply with quote

This post was originally published as an article in a dedicated KarateForums.com Articles section, which is no longer online. After the section was closed, this article was most to the most appropriate forum in our community.

I have learned more from the martial arts than just physical stuff.

My first art was Tang Soo Do. I really loved it. When I left New Jersey to move to New York, I was so close minded to Tang Soo Do. Some of you (the older members anyways) knew that from me posting on here also. My first TKD instructor kind of knew that. He told me when we first met to have an open mind. I did not listen. I was so close minded that I couldn't see what his art had to offer. I wanted my old style and I was expecting it. But when I didn't get it, I left.

I found another TKD school that was similar to TSD. But the biggest thing I learned from going to that school was humility and modesty. Not because they taught it to me. It's because of the way the instructor and his students are. They do not say the student oath or tenets before or after class. So they do not "live by it," so to speak. There's no humility or modesty what so ever there. Nor is there any discipline and respect. The art part that he taught was pretty good (mixed with Judo). But there was no character building at all. There were huge egos there as well. In martial arts, I believe, egos shouldn't be there. Because there is always someone better than you.

I got to red belt in that school, but I feel I did not earn it. They passed me for my red belt without me knowing my throws. I did my forms and self defense well, but they didn't have me spar or grapple at my test. And I forgot my one steps twice. I would have rather failed and did my test over right, than have passed for not knowing my requirements.

I did learn a lot from this school, however. I was an assistant instructor there. I learned a lot about teaching. But even the kids had the "rank" had ego. Because of the color around my waist, I was treated like I wasn't "worthy." They would try to use their rank against me. Then I would tell them to respect your elders. They didn't know what I meant. These kids don't have any discipline or respect. It was really hard for me to try to teach them that when the master instructor doesn't teach it.

The thing that I learned from all this dojang jumping was what I am REALLY looking for in a school. It's not the art, even though that could help, but that wouldn't be the important part. I originally started for self defense, but I now look for the discipline, respect and character building. The first TKD school had that. The amount of respect among the students and instructors is amazing. I'm not saying that going to the other school was a waste, because it wasn't. I did learn a lot. BUT what I want out of MA now is the character building. The self defense is just a bonus. So I went back to the old TKD school.

I also look for a good instructor that knows how to properly teach these things. I learned that you can have a good art, but if the instructor goes about teaching it wrong, it will turn into a not so good art.

The only gripe I have about this school is the price (little on the expensive side). But in this area, you get what you pay for. How I feel about this situation is that you can't really put a price on priceless knowledge. What you learn and how you learn it is the most important thing.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the submission.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

gheinisch
KF VIP

Styles: Hon-Shin-Do - Shodan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Laurie,
Great example of how important it is to empty your cup and to be open to new ideas and methods. There is no best way or best Martial Art. They all have their good and bad sides. As our Hanshi tells us there is "no bad Martial Art, only bad instructors". It sounds like you are on the right track to be a great Martial Artist by having your priorities in order. Good luck with your quest!

G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Why_Worry
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article, but i dont want to really write a whoel lot so i'm jsut going to say cool last line where you said you cant put a price on priceless knowledge. Also glad you found a school that taught open mindedness and character building. There arent that many schools like that around any more. Alot of people now a days dont realize how important that is in martial arts.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One step closer Laurie!

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its all part of your journey in martial arts....never ending lessons in life

shorei_kai_student
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: shorei kai ryu karate/wrestling

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: ah respect Reply with quote

i feel respect is important everywere in life my dojo tries to instill respect as apart of the training. respect to all.

"A new idea is delicate. It can be killed by a sneer or a yawn; it can be stabbed to death by a joke or worried to death by a frown on the right person's brow." Charles Brower

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EEEkkkk. I didn't even know I had two articles posted in a row (thanks Patrick LOL).

But thanks all. It still holds true now, cause I'm still learning the "character part of MA." Ask Heidi LOL

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article, Laurie. I really like the quote I listed below:

KarateKid1975 wrote:
The thing that I learned from all this dojang jumping was what I am REALLY looking for in a school.

I have had some experiences similar to this, only concerning different aspects of the art. In the end, it really helps us find what we are looking for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: