Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

stonecrusher69
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: MCM WING CHUN

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject: What is a Master? Reply with quote

What constitutes a Master?

Does the word even have any relevance when pertaining to a martial artist. Something I think about from time to time. When it relates to Chinese martial arts the term can mean many things. It can mean in some general sense an accomplished martial artist recognized by his peers with many years in his chosen art, or in many instances it's used as a self proclaim title bestowed on by himself as a marketing tool. Myself, I would feel embarrassed to call myself a Master.

In the west it seems if you want to be taken seriously you have to be a Master from the mountains of Wu Dong or some other mystical place. With a lineages going back at least a few hundred years if you want to be considered legit. Otherwise, your looked at as a quack, made up martial artist, or con man. Westerns to a large extent have bought into this and have passed on this Philosophy to their own students which becomes a vicious cycle.

I'm all for tradition. There are many aspects of tradition that are great like the family structure of the traditional kung fu school, and respect for your sihing and Sifu and the ritual of discipleship. As well as the passing on the art that has been handed down to you, but what I'm not into is all the baggage,mysticism, and politics that comes alone with it.

Sifu Michael McIlwrath

"When the student is ready the master will appear"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A title is something other people use to address someone or acknowledge that person's accomplishment. It is not intended for self-referral and those who use it in that way will generally give an impression of self-importance, inflated ego or peculiarity at the very least. In China and many other asian cultures it is unthinkably rude to call oneself by one's title. Even in the Western world, it would be a safe wager to assume very few people refer to themselves by their title when they have one, nor do they expect or demand to be called so by everyone they meet.

One who is truly worthy of being called a Master need not be concerned with titles. A master is one who has reached an almost intuitive level of skill and understanding, yet continues to seek betterment.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A marketing label!! After that, who truly really knows the answer; in which, the answer will be as wide as the ocean, if not wider!! How can someone live up to that label and what some believe it is? Can be difficult!!

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic has come up before and rightfully so, it's an interesting one especially for us Americans. My primary background is in Korean martial arts. I have ventured into Chinese martial arts and Japanese but at any rate, I only count in Korean if you get what I'm saying lol.

In Korean martial arts it's still very much common practice to use the term, in this aspect it's used as a certain rank marker of you will. At 4th Dan, rarely but sometimes 5th, a martial artist is called master. I guess it isn't much of a big deal to me or perhaps Korean martial artists because it's so common and seen (I feel anyway) like almost a level of education, like a masters degree. It's in this way I feel it's more educational and less "your my master" type of thing. It's interesting to see how different cultures and martial arts do things that are perceived so differently. I'm with you on the politics and stuff that comes with it all, this is why I have been open to any style I find interesting. Politics are usually to blame in decision making that says not to blend styles it seems.

Take care

stonecrusher69
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there was a standard in martial arts then the world "Master " would mean something,but today you have people calling them selves master, grandmaster and I like to know who made you a master ?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stonecrusher69 wrote:
If there was a standard in martial arts then the world "Master " would mean something,but today you have people calling them selves master, grandmaster and I like to know who made you a master ?

The governing body; that's who!! Outside of that governing body; it's a matter of opinion!! Imho!!

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There never was, nor will there ever be a unique standard in martial arts. There are as many standards as there are schools, styles or governing bodies. Again, those who flaunt their titles or present themselves as "master" usually do so for publicity's sake and marketing. It is a gimmick to attract and impress potential students/customers.

stonecrusher69
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If martial arts where taught say an accredited university level then you could offer a master title but there is no univeral standard so IMO the title means very little. You have many organization an all of them have different requirements. Perhaps you could offer a title of master to someone who has been training and teaching for say 40 years. The title would mean a dedication and lifetime of training. At least this would eliminate the so called master with a few years trainings and weed out the snake oil salemen.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stonecrusher69 wrote:
If martial arts where taught say an accredited university level then you could offer a master title but there is no univeral standard so IMO the title means very little. You have many organization an all of them have different requirements. Perhaps you could offer a title of master to someone who has been training and teaching for say 40 years. The title would mean a dedication and lifetime of training. At least this would eliminate the so called master with a few years trainings and weed out the snake oil salemen.

To the bold type above...

Shall I dare say...

Proof is on the floor!!

Titanium
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Wado-Kai & Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a master...

Seriously; it is skill, age and contributions which form a master.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: