Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Himokiri Karate
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

Styles: Boxing, Korean Karate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Himokiri Karate wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
It sounds like you've accumulated some great experience and knowledge, and have a plan for incorporating it into your brand of training. I think this is a fantastic thing, and I highly encourage it.

I appreciate it, I plan charging an extremely small fee or donation for people I know. The goal is to teach them what I learned and I insist they train at other places so they feel like what they are learning is of value to them. This clears my conscious of knowing that no one is getting ripped off.

Another thing is that today, I had an incident with a random person. Both were walking, we cam close, he stepped on my shoes, I looked on instincts alone, he started going off on profanity and I stood my ground letting him know if he wants to make a move that I am here and he walked away cursing.

Today I was able to apply psychology of not being able to look like a victim and get pushed around. This was in a rough area which is where my boxing gym I train at is and this stuff never really happened all that much until Covid. Now afterwards I was pretty shook up, boxing workout helped but I was pretty livid and this is where breath work came in handy. But it also opened my eyes that in my dojo I wish to incorporate profanity training.

This revolves around real life situation with an assailant screaming and yelling with profanity, tons of top martial artist get shook up and this incident opened my eyes to not just skill, conditioning and fighting but also psychology of combat and becoming immune to someone yelling and screaming the nastiest words in the loudest tone. This can be scene with UFC star Conor McGregor who used to resort to these tactics early in his career. The Diaz brothers of the early UFC era also did possess this type of edge to them that would fluster athlete based fighters.

Today, I realized that I still have ways to go in street psychology. Some folks can and have a knack to say things bizarre or acting in a way that throws the opponent off. I am not sure if I have the affinity for it. My thing is, I for some reason can raise my voice extremely loud and in a very hostile manner like some steroid freak hopped up on street drugs despite having a meek appearance. For my students, I have to discover what they possess that they can use as a psychological weapon to make themselves more formidable but today was extremely eye opening.

Sorry for the rant but long story short, I now have to add psychology to the mix of my three original criteria.

Solid post!!

The bold quotes above are quite telling about you as well as your teaching abilities and concerns for your Student Body.

Thanks man and I have so much to learn. Yesterday an incident happened that was about to become violent until I decided go against my training of de-escalation and I went the opposite and I became confrontational. The result... It worked when I was holding my ground and not being the better man.

This has created a conflict within me because I resorted to a method that was the opposite of what I learned. Now I have much learning to do in regards to psychology of combat.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

De-escalation is most preferred, but when that's no longer an option, then it's time to resort to physically engage ones opponent without resolve. This has its place, and what has to be applied whenever necessary...

"He who hesitates, hesitates horizontally." ~ Ed Parker

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himokiri Karate wrote:

Thanks man and I have so much to learn. Yesterday an incident happened that was about to become violent until I decided go against my training of de-escalation and I went the opposite and I became confrontational. The result... It worked when I was holding my ground and not being the better man.

This has created a conflict within me because I resorted to a method that was the opposite of what I learned. Now I have much learning to do in regards to psychology of combat.

De-escalation is still a valuable tactic to learn, and not every confrontation will be like this for you. But sometimes, you have to switch gears and show that you won't be stepped on or run over. Sounds like you adjusted and did what needed to be done.

aurik
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Shuri-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At our dojo, our CI looks for the following criteria in candidates for shodan:

1) Ability and willingness to self-correct. During group kata, we'll usually perform with a count, and our CI expects our dan level students to periodically check themselves in the mirrors and self-adjust their stances/positioning.

2) Ability to accept criticism and quickly incorporate it. Our CI tends to pick on advanced students mostly on their basics with minor adjustments, and before he will test someone for shodan, he will expect them to incorporate those adjustments into their technique.

Those are the two biggies, but obviously he expects a certain degree of competence in the entire curriculum up to (and including) shodan level and he expects strong sparring with opponents at (or above) the candidates' level.
Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan
ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking, it is possible to get a very clear idea of the criteria and requirements for a karate black belt. All karate styles have different content and specific techniques or kata, but what stays the same when compared is that a shodan level must demonstrate 3 things:

1. A solid understanding of the basic principles and techniques, their general applications and functionality.
2. Knowledge and general understanding of kata or/and drills
3. A solid grasp of the entire curriculum from the earliest teachings up to the most recently learned item.

That is the easiest part and task for a prospective karate teacher. The differences and difficulty or how long between evaluations and their contents are unique to every instructor, even within the same karate style. There are slight variations from one dojo to another, but at least within a single given karate association they always fit into these 3 guidelines.

Even if someone were to devise their own karate style or start an independent school, this prospective instructor would have to follow them when deciding what to teach and what a shodan in their system ought to know/apply. Specifics in the points or contents of each guideline depend on nothing but the instructor.

SLK59
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some very good generalized thoughts and comments by Mr. Dan in this video from his excellent Art of One Dojo site on YouTube: https://youtu.be/8JpNcDl4_zc

wildbourgman
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan/Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Spartacus.

In my view the definition of 1st dan black belt is one that has mastered and can teach the basics and the fundamentals to his or her level. That's it.

Ist Dan black belt is closer to the beginning of the journey than the end.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildbourgman wrote:
Ist Dan black belt is closer to the beginning of the journey than the end.

Agreed. So many colored belt trainees see it as a culmination of the their training up to that point. I think for many, it's hard to see what's past it, and therefore, many quit after reaching that point, seemingly happy with accomplishing an objective. Those who can see what lies beyond are the ones that dedicate themselves to the long journey.

RW
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue is that a black belt in one school is very different from a black belt in another school of the same style (let alone a different style!).

Sadly there are many black belts out there that should not be a brown belt, a black belt is even more out of the question. But there are also amazing black belts out there who are at a level that most black belts would never reach.

I guess the only objective criteria depends on what art we're talking about:

non-BJJ arts: "Do you know the curriculum?" If you know all of the kata/poomsae/forms for black belt, you technically fulfill the requirements.

BJJ arts: "are you rolling with black belts and holding your own?" (this probably applies to judo too, I am not too sure of how judo grades)

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think at times we veer into thinking that all black belts should be the same as far as skill level and physical abilities go. I think that is a dangerous rut to fall into. It's easy to appreciate someone who is a physically gifted athlete, when things seem to come so easy to them. I had an instructor that I thought was kind of an issue with him. He was a great athlete, and I think he thought that it shouldn't be an issue for all students to get to be that good, as well.

In reality, that just doesn't happen. I wouldn't call myself a physically gifted individual. I don't know if I'm a good fighter or not, because I don't fight. But I do know that I have a pretty good grasp of the material I've been taught over the years, and I know I'm pretty good at teaching it. Give me a physically gifted individual and three years time, and I can probably make them better than me, as far as physically performing, anyway. But I also believe that I am capable of taking a less than talented individual, and given the time and effort, I can make them pretty good, too. Will they be able to achieve what the natural athlete can? Perhaps, perhaps not. But I know enough to understand that the athletic black belt will look different than a more average practitioner will at the same rank.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: